Motorola Jedi (HT1000) Audio Adapter ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

linkinpark9812
What radios do you own?: Spectra, HT1000, Icom F30

Motorola Jedi (HT1000) Audio Adapter ?

Post by linkinpark9812 »

Ok, so I have been looking into getting an audio adapter (BDN6676D) for my HT1000. I have now realized that it is not just for headphones/earpiece but also earpieces or headsets that have microphone capabilities. Apparently the button on the adapter is a PTT button to "get" the audio from the mic/headset plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. Some people reported that the Jedi Series PTT's when this adapter is attached and has certain headphone plugged into the jack.

Now I know what a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) is, so I was wondering what the "pin out" for the headphone jack is. I DON'T need mic capabilities. I just want to have it where I can plug headphone into it and just listen, instead of buying a microphone and plugging it into there and having to lug that around all of the time. Now for the life of me, I can't find out the difference between a 3.5mm THREADED and a 3.5mm NON-THREADED plug. All I know is that people are saying that if you have a 3.5mm threaded plug, the you should just be able to listen and the radio should not PTT.

Now I have heard of this capacitor mod, but haven't heard on how to do it. I obviously would rather not. I have two types of headphones. I have some standard stereo Philips headphones and a earhugger earpiece that is just mono. The stereo plug is 3.5mm and looks like this:
Now from what I know, the SLEEVE is GROUND, the RING is Right audio, and the TIP is Left audio.

and the Earhugger earpiece plug that is 3.5mm looks like this:
From what I know, the SLEEVE is GROUND and the TIP is AUDIO.

Now since I don't know what threaded means, I am not sure if either of them are or not (packaging did not say) and I am not sure if you can tell from what the jack looks like in the pictures.

Now I assume that even if these do set off the PTT, couldn't I just cover the Accessory adapter MIC pin with a piece of electrical tape, or even cut that pin from the adapter since I will never use that adapter for PTT (I would just go buy a speaker mic for that if needed).

Thanks in advance for the replies! 8)
Radios I own: Spectra VHF 110W with A7 head, HT1000 VHF, ICOM IC-F30 VHF, and a Puxing PX-888 VHF.
Scanner I own: Radioshack Pro-164

If you want to get around the 16 mode scan limit on the Motorola Spectra, then read this guide and go to the original thread Here! 8)
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Motorola Jedi (HT1000) Audio Adapter ?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I tried out a standard speaker with a tip/sleeve jack on one of my XTS speaker/mics and the speaker connected to the jack worked fine, as did the microphone. Problem is I don't know if the jack on the speaker/mic connection unit is TS or TRS. The internals on your audio-only/PTT unit (which has no speaker/mic) may well be different.

A non-threaded 3.5mm plug works fine in a threaded jack. You can buy threaded plugs but you probably don't need them.

The "standard" old-time connection for a TRS plug is tip=PTT, ring=audio, and sleeve=ground. What Motorola does with a TRS I don't know, so be careful.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
linkinpark9812

Post by linkinpark9812 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:I tried out a standard speaker with a tip/sleeve jack on one of my XTS speaker/mics and the speaker connected to the jack worked fine, as did the microphone. Problem is I don't know if the jack on the speaker/mic connection unit is TS or TRS. The internals on your audio-only/PTT unit (which has no speaker/mic) may well be different.

A non-threaded 3.5mm plug works fine in a threaded jack. You can buy threaded plugs but you probably don't need them.

The "standard" old-time connection for a TRS plug is tip=PTT, ring=audio, and sleeve=ground. What Motorola does with a TRS I don't know, so be careful.
Thanks for the reply Tom!

What is weird is that the connection on this adapter for the Jedi series is supposed to do both headphone only AND earpiece with microphone. Now with a standard TRS, it really isn't possible. You would need a non-standard 4 (1 tip, 2 rings, 1 sleeve) that would have Ground, PTT, audio out, and mic in.

However, since the PTT button is on the adapter, then it is possible with a standard TRS, just have ground, audio, and mic in and the PTT button is JUST on the adapter. But people have said that the PTT does activate continuously sometimes when plugging certain headphones/earpieces into this adapter.

I guess if mine does (if i order one), I could just clip the MIC pin on the adapter so the signal never gets to the radio anyways. I guess that would work right?

Just curious on others that have this SAME adapter for ANY JEDI radio's (they all have the same pin out pretty much), but mine is going to be used on a HT1000 DN if anyone wants to know.

Thanks in advanced for more replies! 8)
Radios I own: Spectra VHF 110W with A7 head, HT1000 VHF, ICOM IC-F30 VHF, and a Puxing PX-888 VHF.

If you want to get around the 16 mode scan limit on the Motorola Spectra, then read this guide and go to the original thread Here! 8)
billforbush
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\ Astro Spectras, XTS5K

Post by billforbush »

Are you sure the button is for PTT? I have one on an XTS3000 and the button toggles the internal speaker on and off when the earphone/headset is plugged in. Just a thought.

Bill
Motrac
New User
What radios do you own?: Micor, Syntor, Mitrek, Mocom,

Post by Motrac »

"Some people reported that the Jedi Series PTT's when this adapter is attached and has certain headphone plugged into the jack."

As does mine with a mono 2 wire RS earphone plugged in. PTT button on adapter does nothing under these circumstances. Same conditions with T-R-S stereo earbuds plugged in.
linkinpark9812

UPDATE: Motorola Jedi (HT1000) Audio Adapter

Post by linkinpark9812 »

Ok, I ordered one and received it today. Both of those headphones activated PTT. So I went to try and block different pins based on the MT series pinout on the main batlabs website, since I assume they are the same as the accessories for those radios are the same.

Sticking a piece of electrical tape on one of the flat connectors on the radio disabled PTT. Even without this PIN blocked, the PTT button on the adapter did nothing at all.

Blocking off PIN 5 did the trick in preventing the PTT from activating for BOTH types of the headphones in my original post. PIN 5 is the OPTION SELECT 2 pin. Even after blocking it, the PTT button on the adapter still does nothing (expected).

A note though. If using stereo headphones, like the Philips one's in my OP, it will only come out of the LEFT headphone. If you want to hear it out of both (Dual Mono), you need to get an adapter that will take a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo headphone and the other end that plugs into the radio be a 3.5mm (1/8") MONO jack. That way the mono jack that goes into the radio duplicated it for both channels for the stereo headphones (since the stereo headphones have the insulator to separate both LEFT and RIGHT channels). I have confirmed that with an adapter that I have.

The mono ear piece from the OP one I use worked fine without any adapter.

For a permanent solution, you can cut of the pin on the adapter (or remove it) instead of putting tape on the radio connector.

Here is a link to the adapter I am talking about. It is the same one I got and I got it from radio shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102669

Hopes this helps others out in their decision to buy this! 8)

jkb
New User

Post by jkb »

Hello!

I've recently purchased a BDN6676D audio accessory adapter form a very pleasant Motorola dealer in the Toronto region. Attaching it is simple enough, but plugging in an off-the-shelf stereo
headset ( Koss ) resulted in loud PTT sound. Thought this may be related to the fact that when I purchased the radio, I asked that the transmit function be disabled.

I'm assured by the dealer that if I use a genuine Motorola on-ear headset, it will work..and if not, he'll investigate and fix! A current catalog in his possession still lists certain headset solutions that are HT1000 compatible.

jkb

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”