Remote Mounting CDM1550 with Cat5?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

maansman
New User

Remote Mounting CDM1550 with Cat5?

Post by maansman »

Hi Everyone.

I am ready to mount my CDM1550 into my car, with the main unit in the trunk, and the head unit up front...but, the cable that came with the mounting kit is too short. Would a regular network/Cat5 cable work? I have plenty of that, and would save me some coin. Not sure if some features would not work, etc....

I did a search, but could not get an answer......

Thanks for you help,
- Mark
jackhackett

Re: Remote Mounting CDM1550 with Cat5?

Post by jackhackett »

I know you can use 8 conductor silver satin cable with 8pin modular connectors. The connectors get wired the same way on both ends, whichever color wire goes to pin 1 on one end goes to pin 1 on the other end, and so forth. I believe the outer 2 pins on the radio/control head connectors are for handset audio, so unless you need that you can get away with the 8 conductor wire.

I've never tried Cat5 cable, so I don't know if there would be any problem from the twisted pairs, you could always try it, just make sure you get it wired right.
maansman
New User

Post by maansman »

I went to my local Moto shop, and got the 22 (7m) foot cable for $15.......not a bad price for an OEM part....so, all is good!

- Mark
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

Last time I counted there were 10 wires in that cable. DO THE MATH!!
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

You can use CAT 5 cable, you just won't have the handset audio.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

I had the same dillemma once.. but when i decided to go thru with it i noticed the connections did not fit as normal RJ's . I took an un crimped connector and tried to get it to fit in the radio(with the OEM remote kit) and it would not fit, I then tried to do the same thing on the Head side- same thing. I went to MY local MSS and bought 2 of the longest flat cables that they sell.. and voilla! all is good in the hood!
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”