Anyone using the Sharkfin Quad antenna?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Anyone using the Sharkfin Quad antenna?

Post by Pj »

Anyone using this quad antenna? GPSQB. Is it GPS cable + 3 RF cables, or GPS + 2 RF cables (AMPS and PCS on one cable?) ??

Ideally I'd like to put Wi-Fi, GPS, 800 Rx, and VZW data on in one antenna package, and until I hear back from (slow Maxrad)...I am just guessing. The cut sheet states 3 pigtails, but I don't know if that is including the GPS cable or not.

http://wildcard.pctel.com/images_produc ... ransit.pdf
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Anyone using the Sharkfin Quad antenna?

Post by JAYMZ »

It is most likely GPS plus 2 cables. AMPS/PCS "dual band" antennas are fairly common these days.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

If they get back to you or if you end up getting this antenna, I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

I'm thinking of doing the same, but GPS/WLAN/PCS (CDMA).
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

Dead thread bump...

Anyone? If any batlabs members sell the PCTEL/Maxrad PCTMDL and you're in Canada, PM me please?

PCTEL Linky: http://www.maxrad.com/product_overview_ ... _num=11208
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

What would you like to know? Yes, one of the leads is for the active gps antenna. The other two leads are for passive trace antennas etched on a circuit board. There is an lna requiring current limited 3-5v from your gps board to function correctly. In general they perform OK. They certainly simplify installation, though the cables are easily pinched. The design is dependent on the losses of the small cable to atten the gain of the lna to prevent gps front end saturation. It is recommended you not shorten the gps lead length. The other band elements are power limited. 802.11b&g short range performance is acceptable - the operational radius is approx 30m depending on your AP and distribution. The cellular band element performance is acceptable in an urban service area with numerous service interruptions in a rural setting again depending on the network. Overall, the antenna style is a good compromise for a combining gps, cellular, and short range wi-fi into a single antenna, and a good candidate for transit agencies, commuter rail, and taxis services to maintain continuous data connectivity with their vehicles. It is a good antenna for machine to machine communications with a multi-mode interface. I do not recommend it for voice service.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Just an update...

Got it installed and performace for GPS and wifi seem to be pretty good. Until I swap out connectors I can't say for much for the 800 part yet.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

These have been installed on a rural LE agency's vehicles here with great perfromance. Nice and clean, and work great for the price of under $60 each. Use is all data. No voice so I can't comment on that.

FYI-There was a recall on some of them due to the improper install of the connectors from the factory. They offered to send them back for new connectors being installed, but I opted just to replace them myself if they were faulty.

Mark

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”