Windows 7 and APX CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Windows 7 and APX CPS

Post by fireradio »

Anyone gotten it to work? CPS itself installs and runs fine. When I connect the radio, it starts to install the USB driver, but ultimately it fails and says it can't install the driver. I'm running CPS R03.00.00.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: Windows 7 and APX CPS

Post by bezking »

Are you running Win 7 x64? I have had zero luck with CPS apps on 64 bit windows.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

fireradio
Batboard $upporter

Post by fireradio »

Oops. Forgot to mention that. Yes, I am running a 64-bit installation.
OSS
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

fireradio wrote:Oops. Forgot to mention that. Yes, I am running a 64-bit installation.
Even if you could get it to install I don't think you will have any luck since you will need 64 bit USB drivers and Motorola is too cheap to pay Microsoft for driver signing so there won't be any 64 bit drivers any time soon... if ever
fireradio
Batboard $upporter

Post by fireradio »

Just tried using a 32-bit version of Windows 7. APX CPS reads/writes the radio without any problems. Thanks!
OSS
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

I recently updated my office machine with an 80GB SSD and loaded W7 Ultimate 64bit. APX CPS runs fine but XTS CPS cannot because there is no 64 bit driver for USB. A workaround is using a Prolific based USB to Serial converter. Prolific has a 64 bit driver that works just fine with XTS CPS.

There are other issues with APX and W7 because the radio is now looked at as an IP device. Your firewall needs to allow it and even then W7 sometimes sees it as an Unidentified Network which makes it a device you can't talk to. You have to configure W7 to see it as a Home Network so it can assign an IP address and talk to the device. I think that has been brought up in another thread.

Marshall

Return to “Radio Programming”