POCSAG or FLEX?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Spiffy50

POCSAG or FLEX?

Post by Spiffy50 »

Hey gang. I need to procure an alpha pager (well actually around a dozen of them) for our members.

The options that I have from a provider here in South Western Ontario is as follows:

VHF POCSAG 512 Baud
VHF POCSAG 1200 Baud
VHF POCSAG 2400 Baud
VHF FLEX
900 POCSAG 512 Baud
900 POCSAG 1200 Baud
900 POCSAG 2400 Baud
900 FLEX

The coverage maps are all pretty much equal (but really, anyone knows those maps are anything but real).

We're looking to get maximum coverage and least chance of a missed page. I am personally inclined to say VHF POCSAG 512 Baud would be idea, but I figured I should ask first. I have no idea what the difference between FLEX and POCSAG is but I am assuming that POCSAG is better because its what I am issued at work (EMS).
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: POCSAG or FLEX?

Post by Wowbagger »

POCSAG is an older protocol developed by the British Post Office.

FLEX is a newer protocol developed by Motorola.

From what I've seen, POCSAG is more widely supported, so you are more likely to be near a system sending POCSAG. Then again, I haven't looked at paging for a long time and my info could be out of date.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”