Centracom + MDC issues

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Centracom + MDC issues

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

For some reason when I try to do a radio check via MDC on the Centracom console, it does not work. (Yes, the radio is programmed for radio check). I have isolated the problem to the Centracom not waiting between keying the radio and sending MDC data. I have tried adjusting the Pre-Time Delay in the Signaling parameters, but that does not seem to make a difference.

Is their another parameter I should be looking at?

-WEC
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
KE9GK

Re: Centracom + MDC issues

Post by KE9GK »

Centracom II or Gold (not that there is much difference)?

If my experience is correct....I do believe it makes a difference with BIM firmware....you need MDC compatible firmware in the BIM to match the RF Modem to work properly. I have the same issue with signalling...I simulcast a touchtone E E E over an MDC enabled resource with a QCII page over another (this enables me to general xmit the voice page over both once the QCII is sent) and the MDC resource xmits the EEE immediately - no keyup delay - so end users only hear 1-1.5 of the beeps. However, when I do that exact same E E E over a different resource (not MDC enabled) there is a 1(ish) second TX delay before the capcode is sent. I believe this is the same problem you are having with ur MDC packets...so in a nutshell.....Firmware issue!
After years of dealing with the public I have realized.....You Just Can't Fix Stupid!
Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Re: Centracom + MDC issues

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

KE9GK, Thank you for your response. I am using a Centracom II Gold Elite. I have already upgraded the firmware once on this system to support newer OS and software about a year ago. I wouldn't want to do that again anytime soon. If I remember right, it cost us about $15,000.00 just for the firmware (we have a large system).

In an attempt to avoid an outlandishly expensive solution from Motorola, I was able to fix this problem by attacking it from the other direction. It currently passes TX audio through a JPS voter before going to the repeater. I was able to increase the console audio delay slightly in the JPS and that did the trick. There is a bit of an echo if there is a radio in dispatch, but most of the time they will be none the wiser.

Thanks,
WEC 8)
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”