XTS 5k Labels??

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Squad5
was mwb9122

XTS 5k Labels??

Post by Squad5 »

I purchased a radio with no label on the back with the serial and flash code. I was wondering if anyone had the ability to recreate one of these because I am a stickler when it comes to having everything on the radio!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: XTS 5k Labels??

Post by Tom in D.C. »

PM sent.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

I would also be interested except mine would be for a XTS 3k.
Joe - N6LAU
akardam

Post by akardam »

Well, if the radio is completely legit, but simply lacks the rear labels because maybe the rear frame was replaced at some point, you may be able to have the Motorola depot re-tag the radio for you.

If the radio is parts built or aftermarket modified, the depot route is probably not an option. If that's the case, and all you want is to be able to get the model, serial and flash at a glance without having to put the radio in service mode or read it, you standard dymo-style tape labeler would do the trick. If you're looking for something fancier, I'd say it's up to you to see what a label might look like, and design yourself up one in whatever equivalent of Photoshop you prefer.

Having other people create the label for you who don't work for Motorola is I suppose kind of a gray area, because one could in theory then pass the radio of as legit. Either way, to create a realistic label is a lot of work (I speak from personal experience, having done it once by way of experimentation). If you're really interested, however, I encourage you to experiment on your own.
drdog
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, MICOM 2E

Post by drdog »

First and foremost, I would ask a lawyer if what you want to do will not leave you open for the big M trying to give you the big shaft. It all boils down to how much you are willing to pay, and how real you want it to look. I have never done this, so the prices I am quoteing here are just a wild guess. If you have a sample label to use for actual size and font size, any professional label printing shop can do it for you. The down side is that you have to pay for the setup. Say if you wanted to print a hundred or a thousand labels then the setup may be $25 - $50 and then you pay a buck a label. BUT if you want just one label printed then the setup may cost you $50 and the label may cost you another $50. Just hit the Yellow pages for label printers and call around. You may find a shop to do it for you cheap. But if you want it to look real, you need to give them a sample to copy. Describing it verbally just don't work unless you know the trade real good and know the materials used, thickness, etc. and process involved. I had a bunch of tamper proof labels printed up locally here in Chi-Town to keep buyers from part swapping, and sending me back their dead junk. It was pretty reasonable. If you want, PM me and I will find the shop and send you their contact info. But again, I am sure most label shops know the laws and if it is not kosher in any way then they will probably not want to do it for you. Keep in mind that anything to do with serial number tags may be a big deal. If someone blasted a couple rounds through your windshield and damaged your VIN tag, would it be ok for you to make up a fake one to replace the damaged one? I don't know...I'm not a lawyer. But I do know that it is just as serious a deal. do your research and if it comes up positive please let us all know here on the boards...
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

Any ideas where to get black self-adhesive black material similar to the used by Moto for labels and escutcheons?

I have checked 3m P/N on the rear on the Motorola labels, but it shows adhesive bottom only, but not for material at all.

Maybe anybody knows equivalent of it in roll or sheets?

I tried Google and eBay for a few hours, called to many printing agencies, panel design companies, but no positive result.

P.S.
I do not plan to forge Motorola labels. I want to make my own drawings for radios and also make labels for other purposes.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

http://www.labelgraphicsinc.com/

I replaced the Motorola brand label on the front of my XTS2500i's with a custom label with the company logo. Same material, excellent color and detail. Also got bar code labels to put on the frame under the battery. Great to work with. If you have a junk radio with tags, you could probably send the tag and they can custom cut new blanks from the same material.

Dave
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

MSS-Dave wrote:http://www.labelgraphicsinc.com/

I replaced the Motorola brand label on the front of my XTS2500i's with a custom label with the company logo. Same material, excellent color and detail. Also got bar code labels to put on the frame under the battery. Great to work with. If you have a junk radio with tags, you could probably send the tag and they can custom cut new blanks from the same material.
Thanks! But I just want to know manufacturer name and P/N of similar material.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”