Firmware Upgrade Instructions: CDM1550

Release notes for new versions of programming software and firmware, for any product, should be posted here, as well as topics discussing issues and bugs with and FSB's/SRN's for particular releases.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dispatcher7586
New User
What radios do you own?: Most of them! :-)

Firmware Upgrade Instructions: CDM1550

Post by dispatcher7586 »

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade two of my cdm1550 radios. I am using the HLN9742B Flash Adapter (OEM), AARKN4081B (OEM Ribless Programming Cable) and the DB25 to DP9 connector with the OEM Motorola Tool Kit.

Radio will not go into bootstrap mode. Does anybody else have any helpful tips or tricks? Anybody have a layout of the pins?

In the mean time im going to tear open the cable to see if the boot line is actually installed and connected properly and not broken.
IDK?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Firmware Upgrade Instructions: CDM1550

Post by escomm »

Flash adapter probably went south. Current model is AARLN9742D. I had two of them take a dump on me within a year's time of ordering, so I just warrantied them, but the model you have is older and is probably out of warranty.
dispatcher7586
New User

Post by dispatcher7586 »

escomm wrote:Flash adapter probably went south. Current model is AARLN9742D. I had two of them take a dump on me within a year's time of ordering, so I just warrantied them, but the model you have is older and is probably out of warranty.
Hey, the adapter is working for all my HT1250 and EX600 radios. Its just wont work for my cdm1250 and cdm1550 radios. Any ideas? Still think it went bad?
IDK?
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Are you trying to flash the radio through the microphone jack, or the rear accessory connector?

Is the radio a one piece, or remote mount configuration?
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
dispatcher7586
New User

Post by dispatcher7586 »

Im using the mic jack and its not a remote kit.
IDK?
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

- If you are trying to flash the radio through the mic jack using the RIBless cable, are you using the "B" position on the flashing adapter switch, and hitting the power button twice in quick succession?

- On the radio side of the flashing adapter, the B switch position should short pins 12 and 25. In the A position it should be 7 and 25. Additionally, check to see that pins 1 and 7 are shorted in the flashing adapter on both connectors.

- I am personally partial to doing firmware upgrades through the accessory connector, rather than the mic jack. Motorola actually makes a neat little adapter for using a mic jack cable through the rear accessory connector, RLN4853, for around $10. Please note that, when flashing through the accessory connector, even if using a modular plug cable through the adapter, you use the A position on the flashing adapter.

-If your problem is a bad contact on the mic jack,, you can also put the radio into bootstrap by grounding pin 18 on the accessory connector, even if you are programming through the mic jack.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

HumHead wrote:- If you are trying to flash the radio through the mic jack using the RIBless cable, are you using the "B" position on the flashing adapter switch, and hitting the power button twice in quick succession?

- On the radio side of the flashing adapter, the B switch position should short pins 12 and 25. In the A position it should be 7 and 25. Additionally, check to see that pins 1 and 7 are shorted in the flashing adapter on both connectors.

- I am personally partial to doing firmware upgrades through the accessory connector, rather than the mic jack. Motorola actually makes a neat little adapter for using a mic jack cable through the rear accessory connector, RLN4853, for around $10. Please note that, when flashing through the accessory connector, even if using a modular plug cable through the adapter, you use the A position on the flashing adapter.

-If your problem is a bad contact on the mic jack,, you can also put the radio into bootstrap by grounding pin 18 on the accessory connector, even if you are programming through the mic jack.
Make sure you hit the power button twice, with at least one second between pushes when prompted by the firmware screen!
If the bootstrap lead is working, then the radio won't turn off when your doing the double push on the center of the volume control. Also, *if* you have your radio set up for ignition sense, you have to program the radio first to ignore ignition sense, then do the firmware flash. If Ignition sense is turned on, the radio ignores the push button on the front of the radio. You'll never get the double pushing of the on/off button to do what it needs to do if Ignition sense is turned on.
B.

Return to “Software & Firmware Releases & Issues”