Price difference between hardware and software ADP

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MattSR

Price difference between hardware and software ADP

Post by MattSR »

Hi Guys,

Can someone fill me in on the cost of a software flash for ADP, and the cost of hardware ADP options please?

Cheers,
Matt
Batboard $upporter

Re: Price difference between hardware and software ADP

Post by 515 »

While software based ADP is dirt cheap ($10 list) when ordered with the radio, a FlashPort upgrade is $75 list.

The UCM based ADP option is $349 list, and of course requires the $150 UCM hardware.

The XTS5000 ADP UCM kit NNTN4593 is $637. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware module that can be put in a non-encrypted radio to give it ADP encryption.
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

515 wrote:While software based ADP is dirt cheap ($10 list) when ordered with the radio, a FlashPort upgrade is $75 list.

The UCM based ADP option is $349 list, and of course requires the $150 UCM hardware.

The XTS5000 ADP UCM kit NNTN4593 is $637. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware module that can be put in a non-encrypted radio to give it ADP encryption.

Not to mention, you'll need the KVL3000Plus(plus cable) setup for ADP to put the code into the radio.
Software ADP doesn't allow you to have "proper code detect" on receive - i.e. if someone is using
a slightly different 10 digit key, you'll head chirpy sounds in P25 mode. Hardware ADP has "proper code detect".
Software ADP codes are loaded with CPS, Hardware are inserted via the KVL3000Plus unit.
Also the hardware code retension is different, where the code can be lost if the radio has lost power over a period of time.
(two different options for amount of time to retention of the code exist).
B.
motorolo

Post by motorolo »

This might be a dumb question, but given that the software ADP flash option is so cheap, what's the appeal to going with hardware ADP? Does it have something to do with the strength of the algorithms on hardware vs. software?
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

If your radio already has another different algorithm in its UCM, you cannot enable software ADP. It needs to be put into the UCM.

Although software ADP will talk to hardware ADP if the key is the same, hardware ADP is significantly stronger.
akardam

Post by akardam »

MattSR wrote:Although software ADP will talk to hardware ADP if the key is the same, hardware ADP is significantly stronger
Can you substantiate this?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

akardam wrote:
MattSR wrote:Although software ADP will talk to hardware ADP if the key is the same, hardware ADP is significantly stronger
Hardware ADP keys are encrypted on a chip, can be easily erased when the module or battery is removed, etc (although idk if the latter is also true with software ADP)

But, software ADP keys are stored in the radio and from what I read elsewhere can be read in plain text via an s-rec read/hex editor.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Josh wrote:But, software ADP keys are stored in the radio and from what I read elsewhere can be read in plain text via an s-rec read/hex editor.
While I agree with the cps part, i don't think the average joe has access to s-records from adp capable radios...
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

akardam wrote:
Of course. I wouldn't have stated it if it weren't the truth.

Apart from the S-record trick posted above (which wasn't what I was initially referring to) there are other shortcuts taken in the software route. UCM's are NIST certified and cost a good deal of money for good reason - they are designed to a spec, not a price. Unfortunately I am not in a position to publicly disclose what I know until our academic paper is published... I'm sure you understand.

Software ADP is meant to be a cheap solution to lock out scanner users, nothing more.
akardam

Post by akardam »

I'm not trying to call anybody a liar, but I am trying to understand if you're saying that hardware based ADP uses an algorithm that goes beyond what is available in the software (DSP) based implementation, or if you're saying that recovering keys from the device is easier for the software implementation versus the hardware implementation.

I have a hard time believing the former. I don't have a hard time believing the latter - if they have their hands on your hardware, you've already lost.

Perhaps you could provide some clarification?
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Both are true - a purpose built computer such as a UCM will always do a better job than a general purpose microcontroller will.

All stream ciphers (DES-OFB, ADP etc) depend on external functions such as CSRNGs and entropy generators that aren't easily implemented without specific hardware. (such things aren't available if you don't have a UCM - thats where the $$ goes when you buy one)

As I said above in my previous post, I can't elaborate any further until our paper is published and our work gets credit where credit is due.

Regards,
Matt

akardam wrote:I'm not trying to call anybody a liar, but I am trying to understand if you're saying that hardware based ADP uses an algorithm that goes beyond what is available in the software (DSP) based implementation, or if you're saying that recovering keys from the device is easier for the software implementation versus the hardware implementation.

I have a hard time believing the former. I don't have a hard time believing the latter - if they have their hands on your hardware, you've already lost.

Perhaps you could provide some clarification?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Sorry, I think this is a pointless argument. If you were talking about AES in software vs. hardware, then the merits of purpose-built RNGs would be worth discussing. However, we're talking about an algorithm that already has multiple known attacks - it's not cryptographically strong in the first place.

ADP is a scanner-preventer... nothing more. Most departments aren't going to implement any sort of real key management - they'll load an ADP key in when they first program the radio and it will likely stay the same for years. Therefore, any discussion on the merits of the hardware doing the encryption is pretty much pointless.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”