CDM1550 gets crazy hot just sitting on the bench.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CTAMontrose
was grem467

CDM1550 gets crazy hot just sitting on the bench.

Post by CTAMontrose »

Hey all, i recently acquired a CDM1550LS+ that will get insane hot just sitting on the bench. Otherwise the radio works fine, rated power out, RX, etc... before i dig into this thing I figured id ask to see if there is something common i should look for first.

thanks!
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: CDM1550 gets crazy hot just sitting on the bench.

Post by n7maq »

CTAMontrose wrote:Hey all, i recently acquired a CDM1550LS+ that will get insane hot just sitting on the bench. Otherwise the radio works fine, rated power out, RX, etc... before i dig into this thing I figured id ask to see if there is something common i should look for first.

thanks!

Check your standby current draw. I would guess you have a PA module going bad.

Jim
Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

It's also possible for the accessory pins to bend and short the speaker audio to ground, heating up the audio amp to the point of nearly burning flesh. Make sure all Accy pins are straight and any external speaker is not shorted to ground.

I like the idea of monitoring the standby current on the bench. Monitoring the current draw, note the standby and TX current. Let us know what you find!

-WEC 8)
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Had a CDM750 do that once, just took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, with pressurized air, I guess there was a couple flakes of crap in there shorting something out....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”