CDM1250 that failed during firmware update

Release notes for new versions of programming software and firmware, for any product, should be posted here, as well as topics discussing issues and bugs with and FSB's/SRN's for particular releases.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rcfdfireman
New User

CDM1250 that failed during firmware update

Post by rcfdfireman »

I have a cdm1250 that I was updating from v2.0.01 to v5.08. during the update it failed during the upload and now it won't turn on. Is it still possible to fix the firmware. I saw a post about cloning a radio using 2 adapters, would that work. Can't tell if its going into bootstrap mode.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: CDM1250 that failed during firmware update

Post by Josh »

rcfdfireman wrote:I have a cdm1250 that I was updating from v2.0.01 to v5.08. during the update it failed during the upload and now it won't turn on. Is it still possible to fix the firmware. I saw a post about cloning a radio using 2 adapters, would that work. Can't tell if its going into bootstrap mode.
I ran into a similar problem but on an HT from the waris series. The radio defaulted to bootstrap when powered up. The CDMs use a momentary push-button to power on but if you put the jumper between pins, I think 7 and 9 on the rear, the radio should power up automatically when powered is applied, or in your case power to bootstrap mode, so the following should work- of could at least be attempted.

In order for this to work you need an identical, working radio- Same TANAPA. What you do is connect the working radio up to do the firmware upgrade, even if the firmware in it is already current, it will still work. When the radio and upgrade warez communicate successfully, the program tells you to put the radio in bootstrap mode. When this happens, swap radios to the nonworking one and hit "upgrade"- or whatever the dialog is to keep the process going. It should then upgrade the radio and then work.

I did this on an HT1250 about 5 years ago with success, but it took another working radio to do it.
SD70MAC

Post by SD70MAC »

Does it have any error on the display ? Does it have any sound ? Hiss ? I had a CDM1550LS+ fail during a firmware upgrade and it is dead except for a low hiss in the speaker. Only one I have do this thank goodness.
SD70MAC out

My collection;
XTS5000 VHF FPP,XTS3000 VHF M1&M3,XTVA,XTS2500 UHF Q FPP,Astro Spectra"s W3 VHF,W9 VHF,W7 800,HT1250 35-50,XPR4500 Q,2 CDM1550LS+ VHF 160ch,CDM1550 X 160ch VHF 25w,MAXTRAC 42-50 32ch,CDM1250 42-54
rcfdfireman
New User

Post by rcfdfireman »

I've tried the cable swap several times without success so far. The radio does not display anything, makes no beeps. Can measure a small current draw when it turns on, but that's it.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

rcfdfireman wrote:I've tried the cable swap several times without success so far. The radio does not display anything, makes no beeps. Can measure a small current draw when it turns on, but that's it.
And just to be sure, you've done the GM300 style jumper on the rear of the radio that causes the CDM to automatically power up when voltage is supplied to the radio?

If this has all failed, then it looks like the only other option is to mail it off to the Depot.
rcfdfireman
New User

Post by rcfdfireman »

Josh wrote:
rcfdfireman wrote:I've tried the cable swap several times without success so far. The radio does not display anything, makes no beeps. Can measure a small current draw when it turns on, but that's it.
And just to be sure, you've done the GM300 style jumper on the rear of the radio that causes the CDM to automatically power up when voltage is supplied to the radio?

If this has all failed, then it looks like the only other option is to mail it off to the Depot.

I assume that you're talking about the ignition switch on pin 10. Either way I tried both with the same results. It sounds like a trip to the depot. I did read something about using a Y cable and connection two radios at one. The good radio doing all the handshaking with the flash program and the bad radio getting flashed exactly the same as the good radio. Has anyone actually tried this? And will it work on a radio that doesn't give an error code?
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

You can fix it with the US Waris Lab Flashkit.

Andreas
rcfdfireman
New User

Post by rcfdfireman »

Andreas I've tried the US Waris Lab Flashkit and it always says radio not in bootstrap mode. I am trying to flash using the mic jack and tying pin 18 to pin 7. I know this it's preferred to use accessory connector, but haven't built a cable for that yet.
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

Yes,you can use the mic. connector to flash the radio!
I always do this in the same way,and yes,you have to ground the bootcontrol pin of the rear connector,to put it in bootstrap mode.
Put the bootcontrol on ground and remove the radio, for a few seconds,from the power supply.
Switch the radio on and start the flashing process.

Andreas
rcfdfireman
New User

Post by rcfdfireman »

Andreas wrote:Yes,you can use the mic. connector to flash the radio!
I always do this in the same way,and yes,you have to ground the bootcontrol pin of the rear connector,to put it in bootstrap mode.
Put the bootcontrol on ground and remove the radio, for a few seconds,from the power supply.
Switch the radio on and start the flashing process.

Andreas

I have pin 18 (Boot Control) jumped to Pin 7 (ground). Applied power and tried to flash, error "Radio not in bootstrap mode". Disconnected power and let sit for a min, reapplied power and pressed power button, tried to flash with same error. Either I'm doing something wrong putting the radio in bootstrap mode or this thing is bricked.
rcfdfireman
New User

Post by rcfdfireman »

I finally got it. I had to break out an old 400Mhz computer, but it worked great after i tried the old system.

Return to “Software & Firmware Releases & Issues”