XTS5000 and KVL3000 and DES-OFB

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

whitenoise

XTS5000 and KVL3000 and DES-OFB

Post by whitenoise »

Hello

I have two XTS5000's, they are pretty much the same except one has H38 (Smartzone) instead of H35 (conventional). I have both setup for ASTRO (IMBE) conventional mode. Both radios have hardware secure boards that support DES-XP and DES-OFB. Both also have ADP software modes. I have both units talking to each other in ASTRO mode with and without ADP. Now, I use a KVL3000 (in ASTRO mode) to create a a new DES-OFB key. I can successfully load this key into only one of the radios. The other radio gets "TARGET NOT RESPONDING" (as seen on the KVL3000 screen) when trying to View/Load/Clear..... I am using proper cable between KVL3000 and XTS5000 and the radio does say "KEYLOADING" when cable is attached. I thought perhaps the the hardware secure board (UTM) was bad so I replaced it with a new one but i still have the same problem.

Any ideas what would cause this problem ?

In the codeplug, Secure Hardware is checked in the General Tab of the Secure Configuration. Also, in Multikey Options Tab, CKR is checked.

thanks for any pointers.
misawatech

Re: XTS5000 and KVL3000 and DES-OFB

Post by misawatech »

In my experience the only way to load a DES key into a 5000 is to make sure PID is checked. The CKR selection cannot be changed as, to my understanding, that is strictly for an AES key. Is it possible that the one radio that works has the PID selection checked? PID reverts to the ASN key, or DES, and on my 5000s must be checked in order for it to take a DES key.
akardam

Post by akardam »

misawatech wrote:In my experience the only way to load a DES key into a 5000 is to make sure PID is checked. The CKR selection cannot be changed as, to my understanding, that is strictly for an AES key. Is it possible that the one radio that works has the PID selection checked? PID reverts to the ASN key, or DES, and on my 5000s must be checked in order for it to take a DES key.
A KVL3000/3000+ flashed for DES/XL/OFB and Astro25 Mode will load a DES key into a XTS5000 just fine.
whitenoise

Post by whitenoise »

Yes, it does. It loads 1 of my 2 XTS5000 just fine. Turns out the genius who re-cased my XTS5000 (not me) ripped part of the ribbon cable going to the programming port. Just enough connections for regular programming to work but key loading doesn't work. I am locating a new cable to fix the problem.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

I just know that some of my 5000s, I can't say all since i haven't tested them all, will not take a DES key until the PID is turned on. If memory serves Motorola told me the the PID must be on to accept a DES key. This could only be applicable to a multi-key radio. I do have a mix of multi-key and single key radios. My loader, and the other 3 we have, are flashed for both DES and AES. I would have to do some testing again to be sure but I am sure at least one, in the last few months has had this issue. Could be something I am missing, and Motorola gave me erroneus info, so I will test before I can say for sure.

With that said I read the OP and the comments and wonder if it is a ribbon cable problem. I also have torn the cable by changing the case, and just trying different cases. We all know of the problem with the model I that had bad solder joints on the flex at the PTT. I have one or two cases, set up with flex controls, just to test for this.

Could also be a bad connection, from the accessory connector to the loader, a bad ecncryption module, the radio is set for infinite key, or the radio has a key in the wrong location? Just guessing now because I don't remember getting a target not found. Usually all the problems I mentioned will give a keyload fail I believe. Target not found leads me to believe it is trying to load into a slot that is not available.

Right now I only have 4 nets that need encyryption so my problems have been mostly user error.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

Whitenoise, I may have some cables that I was keeping to replace the volume and frequency knobs. These flexes may work for you and I would let them go for free if you want them. You would just have to replace what was bad or install what is missing. Definitely cheaper than geting a whole new flex assembly.
whitenoise

Post by whitenoise »

misawatech,

Thanks for the offer. I have spare model III case on it's way now with ribbon cable in tact.

Also, I did try PID on/off and it made no difference. Even though both radios are multi-key enabled both only have one key setup and codeplugs are same so I think its the ribbon cable, it appears several connections are not making it to programming port - visually inspected with magnifying glass!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Are you loading to the right keyslot? 0 to 0, 1 to 1, etc? I've seen that being the #1 cause of load fails. Start with key location 0 and try that (0 to 0 is the 1st slot, 1, is the 2nd, etc)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
whitenoise

Post by whitenoise »

Hello,

Just wanted to close this thread out. As I indicated I found that the flex cable was partially damaged and it was my believe that this was the cause for not being able to load keys into radio. I have now replaced the flex assembly and now the radio successfully loads keys from KVL3000. Thanks for the help.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”