Capacity Plus on a single repeater

Moderator: Queue Moderator

IRS_BDN_MB

Capacity Plus on a single repeater

Post by IRS_BDN_MB »

First question: Is it possible to trunk a single MotoTRBO repeater?

I have no experience using Capacity Plus and at $1000 per repeater plus $30 per mobile/portable I really can't afford to buy & try. My situation is that two different companies shared the cost of a single MotoTRBO repeater last year. One company is using slot A the other using slot B with around 50 radios total on-site. One issue is that ‘Company A’ uses the repeater far more then ‘Company B’ and is getting occasional denial tones. The other issue and far more important to both companies is that in the event of an emergency both companies would like to be able to talk to each other to notify them of the emergency at the SAME time. The companies do want to be able to eavesdrop on each other so adding each other’s talk group is not an option. As far as I know you cannot talk across repeater slots, so to accomplish this without Capacity Plus priority scan would need to be implemented.

Second question: Is across slot scan reliable enough that every radio will hear an emergency call even if talk is already happening on another slot?
g7odt
New User

Re: Capacity Plus on a single repeater

Post by g7odt »

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to Capacity Plus a single Mototrbo repeater which will allow communications between users on slot 1 and users on slot 2. However, there is a drawback with this, being that cap plus radios rely on the issuing of a rest channel or slot which is where all radios not party to the current call are steered to. If you have a system where both slots are regularly occupied for long time periods, this will cause problems as there will be delays in a "rest channel" being allocated. If, however, your users, do not have long conversations and have relatively short overs on an occasional basis, then this could be a workable solution.
I use a single cap plus repeater for sales demonstration and it works fine for this. All depends on the number of radios+number of call types which are made available to the users, avoid private calls at all costs.
Hope this helps.

Chris
dsheli

Post by dsheli »

I called Motorola Support and asked this very question last march or whenever Capacity plus came out. The support agent said thats a great question, I will have to go get an engineer and find out. The engineer came on the phone and informed me that yes you can setup capacity plus with one repeater.
David
IRS_BDN_MB

Post by IRS_BDN_MB »

Second question: Is across slot scan reliable enough that every radio will hear an emergency call even if talk is already happening on another slot?
g7odt
New User

Post by g7odt »

IRS_BDN_MB wrote:Second question: Is across slot scan reliable enough that every radio will hear an emergency call even if talk is already happening on another slot?
Hi, yes cross slot scanning is pretty reliable, and to improve the functionality, if you have portables with later than version 1.6 firmware you can use emergency with voice interrupt.
What this will achieve is all interruptible radios will dekey on reception of a emergency call. It is not instant but as near as damn it.

Voice interrupt is only available for Cap Plus enabled radios in the very latest (v1.7) firmware.

Cheers

Chris
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

The Capacity Plus factory demo kit is setup this way and works fine.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

this is actually the same type of setup i plan on putting up here
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

IRS_BDN_MB wrote:at $1000 per repeater plus $30 per mobile/portable I really can't afford to buy & try.
$30 per radio? Really? I thought there was no charge per subscriber unit for this option. It is part of the basic firmware?
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

capacity plus IS part of the subscriber firmware. I forget how much the repeater upgrade is, but $1k-$1,400 sounds right. FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”