Motorola P25 vs. MOTO TRBO Comparison

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Motorola P25 vs. MOTO TRBO Comparison

Post by Jim1348 »

I have been a P25 user until the end of December, but now I am a MOTO TRBO user. Anyway, I have a question or two. If you did a side by side comparison, say using the same VHF high band frequency on simplex with the same power level, how would P25 compare to MOTO TRBO? For example, would the audio sound very similar or would it sound better on P25? Also, when it comes to simplex range I assume it would be the same, but would it be? I know these sound like pretty elementary questions, but I have so little MOTO TRBO experience that I am still coming up to speed on all of this. It sort of sounds like in many areas that P25 is going to public sector and MOTO TRBO is going to the private sector, but I am also run across some cases where the opposite is true.
Bill_G

Re: Motorola P25 vs. MOTO TRBO Comparison

Post by Bill_G »

My guess is they would be very similar. All other things being equal, they are using similar vocoder technology with P25 being IMBE, and Trbo being newer AMBE, from the same chip manufacturer.
resqguy911

Re: Motorola P25 vs. MOTO TRBO Comparison

Post by resqguy911 »

It would be more appropriate to compare P25x2 to Trbo/DMR, would it not? I guess the only problem is P25x2 doesn't work in simplex mode

edit: this post could probably combined with the other one...
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”