No operating sysem found

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

No operating sysem found

Post by arlojanis »

I switched on my Hewlett Packard Pavilion computer today and it said no operating system found. After trying off and on several times, it booted into Windows 98SE. Does this sound like a bad hard drive or what?
"The world runs on radio."
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: No operating sysem found

Post by JAYMZ »

The majority of the time yes. A few times I have see that it is the hard drive controller that is bad and it isn't seeing the drive let alone what is on the drive. When you boot it up do you here any clicking or anything? That would be an indication of head crashes which is bad.

You have your data backed up of course... right? :lol:
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

You didn't have a Flashdrive, CD, or Floppy in the drive, did you? If you do leave that in and it tries to boot from it, it may generate an error like that.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Only if it is a bootable drive with no bootable OS on it. Otherwise it the computer will just ignore it.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

I removed the cabinet and can hear the hard drive spinning normal at power on. After a few seconds, it sounds like the hard drive gets loaded down and spins a lot slower. Could this be a power supply problem?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

arlojanis wrote:I removed the cabinet and can hear the hard drive spinning normal at power on. After a few seconds, it sounds like the hard drive gets loaded down and spins a lot slower. Could this be a power supply problem?
Probably not - sounds like the drive is going bad. Does it make a nice clicking sound, wind down, spin up, then click again?

If so I wouldn't have high hopes for the drive. Some people have success freezing the drive for about 15-20 minutes then dropping it on the floor (no joke). Keep this procedure in mind as a last resort. Others have had mixed success finding another drive with the same exact firmware, born on date, etc and switching the board on the drive.

Good luck.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Yep sounds like a bad hard drive. My Fujitsu laptop does the same thing. After slapping the keyboard a few times with an open hand it starts up.
Looking for a CF 29 Toughbook to replace it

Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

No clicking.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Get this from time to time with my POS HP desktop. Rebooting has always cleared it a second time for me. Thanks for reminding me to take another HDD image, has been awhile and would be quite unpleasant to lose all my installed programs.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”