2002 FORD F-250

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TWL911

2002 FORD F-250

Post by TWL911 »

Anybody done any installs in newer F250's. I have to do one next week, regular cab, there is already a custom floor console that is off limits. I don't like the headliner Idea, any one have suggestions. Mounting a GE MVS :(
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

Does the floor console go forward to the dash, or stop just at the front of the seats. Not sure of the GE MVS, I just installed a Motorola CDM1250 in my 02 F250 Crew Cab. The main unit is mounted behind the rear seat, easily accessible. I removed the plastic junk holder from behind the seat. I ran the cables along the trays on the drivers side of the truck.

In the front, I mounted the remote unit. This is where I had alot of problems trying to decide where to put it, not that there weren't places to put the remote head, but where I had to drill holes for the two mounting screws and it wouldn't show. I have floor matts that I added that would catch any mud and snow, including over the hump. I could have put the remote mounted on part of my dash, on the overhead console or on the hump....I installed on the hump, with the mic hangar on the dash (on a piece that was smallest and easily replaceable). One of these days I'm going to take some pics, I owe one of the other members some pics.

For your GE MVS, I'm guessing you don't have remote head options. You do have options if the console doesn't go all the way forward. If you know someone that has a sheet metal bender, then build a custom bracket that can mount to the hump as far forward as possible. There is no heating ducts right there and will not do any interferance. All wires are easily concealed by running directly behind and up under the dash, with power a short reach. There is a grommet behind the left side of the dash that the power cord can easily be run to the battery. Not sure if the radio can do iginition sense, but some people draw power for the radio from an ignition line, which is a no-no.

My previous vehicle was a Nissan pickup that I had a custom sheet metal mount made and then painted. Depending on the shape, they will be even more stable than the factory mount. I had an Icom mobile mounted, which use two screws on each side.
vcaruso
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by vcaruso »

You can get the MVS remote mount kit from MA-Com they sometimes pop up on e-bay, but it is possible to rmote mount this radio.
kd6jib

F250 install

Post by kd6jib »

I have done 3 installs on 2003 F250s for the city I work for. The radios I installed were Maxtracs. There is a junk holder to the left and below the AM/FM radio. I cut that out with a rotozip tool. There is a really nice strong and flat metal tube that is right behind and above the junk holder. I mounted the radio to this. I then took some 7/32" vacuum hose and split it to use for trim around the somewhat jagged edge that the rotozip left. It looks really nice and the radio doesnt take up any cab space.
One other mechanic mounted a radio to the plastic above the transmission hump. besides being a little flimsy it is also DIRECTLY below the cup holder. That radio failed when the truck had a mere 5800 miles on it.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Chris

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”