Upgrade of firmware xts5k question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Upgrade of firmware xts5k question

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

I'm curious what would be required or costs to upgrade firmware on w xts5k portables with the following version:
HOST R09.00.03
DSP R09.00.02

Not sure what is required or what is needed.

What would I benefit from the upgrade?

Thanks.

Jonathan.
kt2728

Re: Upgrade of firmware xts5k question

Post by kt2728 »

Do you have a 5a9008-xxxxxx-x flash? If so it will disable the fpp. If not is adds some small features I think.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

kt2728 wrote:Do you have a 5a9008-xxxxxx-x flash? If so it will disable the fpp. If not is adds some small features I think.
Yes. It's a 5a9008 flash.

Forgive me but why would the fpp disapear? Just curious if I should worry or find one that already has 15.x firmware etc.

Any known issues with staying on 9.0x versions? FPP is something I'm not really wanting to loose.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

Because that flashcode is equipped with both FPP and Trunking. After version 9 firmware, those options are not allowed to coexist and unfortunately trunking will remain and FPP will be removed.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

bezking wrote:Because that flashcode is equipped with both FPP and Trunking. After version 9 firmware, those options are not allowed to coexist and unfortunately trunking will remain and FPP will be removed.
Makes sense. Thanks. I do remember reading that.

Any issues with 9.x or reasons I would need to go newer?
SoCalRescue

Post by SoCalRescue »

ILuvXMRadio wrote:
bezking wrote:Because that flashcode is equipped with both FPP and Trunking. After version 9 firmware, those options are not allowed to coexist and unfortunately trunking will remain and FPP will be removed.

I just bought my first 5000 a few weeks ago and I had a similar question about firmware and the concerns of whether or not to upgrade. IMHO, and I'm no expert, but I say don't worry about it at the moment. My radio has firmware 12 and I can have it upgraded at any time. I asked around and from what I have heard, there isn't anything game changing in the latest firmware. Now if moto releases a whole new dsp version and a firmware that will allow your radio to cook your flilet mignon to medium rare then I'd pay the money to have your radio reflashed and upgraded. I am fortunate enough to have one of the most loaded flashes so q52 and q53 exclude me from the rule (even though I am already way above 9 anyway). So I say don't worry about it for now because you can always get yourself a flash upgrade and update the finesse later if something major is released. Just enjoy it! :-)
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

ILuvXMRadio wrote:

Not really, PASS filter in 15 that's about it.
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Thanks guys.
qball
New User

Post by qball »

Most importantly, if you aren't having any known issues, then don't upgrade the firmware. I have experienced the wrath of poorly written firmware with undesired effects with 15.00.00 and the XTL O5 heads. I ended up with a couple of dead control heads before I realized the firmware was the problem.

My rule of thumb: If you radios aren't under warranty or repair contract, you aren't on a trunking system, and aren't having firmware related problems...then don't introduce any issues by updating. It costs TOO much to recover from a flash related mess up if the repair is coming from your own pocket.
Qball
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's always been my rule of thumb to NOT update simply for the sake of updating. If it fixes a known bug that you or your customer is actually experiencing, then yes.

Even if it adds a desired feature, I always wait at least a month or so to see if any issues pop up here on the board before deciding it's relatively safe to do so.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”