how slow a computer?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

how slow a computer?

Post by kb2crk »

how slow of a computer would i need for programming an Ontario Hydro Maxtrac.
I know the syntors required a 286 or older processor. I am just trying to find out how old i would need to go to program the 99 channel Maxtrac. The RSS gives me an integer error on every computer i have tried so far. My slowest computer is running at 66mhz and pure dos. I just am trying to find out what i need to try and find.
Thanks
Paul
just call me dos impaired.... lol
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Re: how slow a computer?

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

I would say try to use Dosbox, from Dosbox.org, on a Windows computer with a real serial port. I've had pretty good luck with it emulating the speeds, etc. Make sure to set up the COM ports correctly in the dosbox configuration.
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Motorola recomends no faster than 25 mhz in pure DOS mode.
Sounds like to me you may be in need of a computer program called MoSlo.
What it did was slowed the computer down by percentage .
As an example your 66 mhz clock speed slowed down 75 percent by MoSlo would put you at around 16 mhz clock speed.
I can confirm a 386 dos computer at 16 mhz clock speeds works just fine on the Max 99 maxtrac.
If you google MoSlo you will find the computer programm and info about it.
THIS IS NOT MOTOROLA RSS SO IS PERMISSIBLE INFO :
satelite
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

that is good news as i can get a 386 15mhz for the price of shipping. the only issue will be getting a floppy drive for it as the one in it has failed. the slower 386 machines are also cheaper on greedbay than the 286's.
I have tried moslo and it does not like my slowed down computer. the computer running 66mhz is a pentium II 233 clocked down as slow as i could get it.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

kb2crk wrote:that is good news as i can get a 386 15mhz for the price of shipping. the only issue will be getting a floppy drive for it as the one in it has failed. the slower 386 machines are also cheaper on greedbay than the 286's.
I have tried moslo and it does not like my slowed down computer. the computer running 66mhz is a pentium II 233 clocked down as slow as i could get it.
There is also a DOS program called "CACHEOFF.COM" that you might try. Some computers are finiky about how they handle the serial port data. I have found that the computers that gave me problems, worked fine without using MOSLO when I ran the CACHEOFF.COM program. It is just a very small program, but works wonders. You can do a search on the Internet and download it. Start it up before you start the radio software.

Jim
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

Jim202 wrote:
kb2crk wrote:that is good news as i can get a 386 15mhz for the price of shipping. the only issue will be getting a floppy drive for it as the one in it has failed. the slower 386 machines are also cheaper on greedbay than the 286's.
There is also a DOS program called "CACHEOFF.COM" that you might try. Some computers are finiky about how they handle the serial port data. I have found that the computers that gave me problems, worked fine without using MOSLO when I ran the CACHEOFF.COM program. It is just a very small program, but works wonders. You can do a search on the Internet and download it. Start it up before you start the radio software.

Jim
i was able to disable all cache functions in the bios as my main programming computer has those options in set up. it has been this way since i started messing with the motorola radios.
the reduced clock speed was also an option but the minimum was 66mhz.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

maxkelley_kc2spy wrote:I would say try to use Dosbox, from Dosbox.org, on a Windows computer with a real serial port. I've had pretty good luck with it emulating the speeds, etc. Make sure to set up the COM ports correctly in the dosbox configuration.

I tend to use older computers so a serial port is not a problem. I programmed my spectras using this dell laptop with a 2ghz p4 and do any cps based work with it. my 66mhz machine runs windows 98 or dos and i use it for my maxtracs and maratracs without a problem. the 99 channel maxtrac software seems to have an issue with the speed and moslo did not help. time to find a relic...
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I had been using a 486-25 but it died. That machine seemed to be fine for the older software. The next machine I tried was a 486-33 and it was too fast. I downloaded the trial version of Mo Slo and had no problems at 75%. If I have to run that machine again I may have to actually break down and BUY a copy of Mo Slo, since the trial period will have expired.

I've used a Dell Pentium-3 / 850 MHz on MaxTracs, Spectras, GTXs, MSF5000s, MTR2000s with no problems. The only products that seem to require a slow machine (such as a 386/40 or 486/25) are HT600 and some of the real old MaxTracs. Once they fixed the serial port speed issue and got rid of that "divide by zero" error, computer speed was no longer an issue. That error comes from a speed/delay calibration routine that the program goes through; it counts iterations through a loop for a specific amount of time, and the faster computers are so fast that the count - which starts at zero - never changes; when they try to divide by that counter, BANG. Everything worked fine on the old 286 and PC/AT machines that were common in the late 1980s when the software was designed and written.

Bob M.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Ahh crap:
Time for a new radio.
Dont ya just hate a new toy ?
:lol: :-P :lol: :-P
satelite
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

kcbooboo wrote:I had been using a 486-25 but it died. That machine seemed to be fine for the older software. The next machine I tried was a 486-33 and it was too fast. I downloaded the trial version of Mo Slo and had no problems at 75%. If I have to run that machine again I may have to actually break down and BUY a copy of Mo Slo, since the trial period will have expired.

I've used a Dell Pentium-3 / 850 MHz on MaxTracs, Spectras, GTXs, MSF5000s, MTR2000s with no problems. The only products that seem to require a slow machine (such as a 386/40 or 486/25) are HT600 and some of the real old MaxTracs. Once they fixed the serial port speed issue and got rid of that "divide by zero" error, computer speed was no longer an issue. That error comes from a speed/delay calibration routine that the program goes through; it counts iterations through a loop for a specific amount of time, and the faster computers are so fast that the count - which starts at zero - never changes; when they try to divide by that counter, BANG. Everything worked fine on the old 286 and PC/AT machines that were common in the late 1980s when the software was designed and written.

Bob M.

the divide by 0 error is what is happening. everything else i have is newer but i was planning on getting a syntor low band which i know will also require the slower computer. so it is time to hunt one down or try and find a floppy drive for one i know i can get.
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

You can turn a PC,up to PIII-800 into a 386~25 if you disable the cache.
Even the very old RSS from the mid 80th run without any problems!
You can download the cache disableing software here:
http://www.agh-technik.bravehost.com/cache.zip

Andreas
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

Andreas wrote:You can turn a PC,up to PIII-800 into a 386~25 if you disable the cache.
Even the very old RSS from the mid 80th run without any problems!
You can download the cache disableing software here:
http://www.agh-technik.bravehost.com/cache.zip

Andreas

the cache is disabled and 25 mhz is too fast for the rss.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I can get old stuff to run with dos box, but I haven't been able to get the serial port to work with it yet..
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

"the cache is disabled and 25 mhz is too fast for the rss."

Some of the older programs had a timer calibration field in the PC Setup screen. Try changing the value. A 486-25 should be slow enough; mine was.

Bob M.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

Well I have a 386/16 mhz on the way. now i wait to see what kind of floppy drive i need to replace.
either that or try transferring software through the serial cable from one computer to the other..
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

well a 386/16mhz works great. had to fix the floppy drive but the 99 ch maxtrac rss runs great on it.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”