Astro Spectra W3 no TX audio help

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dvfd21
New User

Astro Spectra W3 no TX audio help

Post by dvfd21 »

Just purchased an Astro Spectra W3 110w mobile. Installed and programmed with a few frequencies and I find that it has no TX audio. It transmits a dead carrier with no PL and on P25 is seems not to be transmitting the NAC. This radio was new in the box and has not been tampered with. It reportedly does have encryption with a UCM and I assume it is installed. If the UCM is missing would the radio react like this. Please help!

Radio info:

Model: T04RLH9PW3AN-UCM
Flash: 1400010000003

From memory:
R:11.xx.xx
D:8.xx.xx

I will have to look again to confirm the firmware and dsp versions.

Using Astro Mobile Version 14 for programming

Any help is appreciated.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Astro Spectra W3 no TX audio help

Post by jmr061 »

Astro version 14 for programming? That actually didn't work did it. Astro CPS is only at version 5. Sounds like you used Astro25 software but that would never work on an Astro Spectra.

Jason
YouHF
New User

Post by YouHF »

dvfd21 wrote:Just purchased an Astro Spectra W3 110w mobile. Installed and programmed with a few frequencies and I find that it has no TX audio. It transmits a dead carrier with no PL and on P25 is seems not to be transmitting the NAC. This radio was new in the box and has not been tampered with. It reportedly does have encryption with a UCM and I assume it is installed. If the UCM is missing would the radio react like this. Please help!

Radio info:

Model: T04RLH9PW3AN-UCM
Flash: 1400010000003

From memory:
R:11.xx.xx
D:8.xx.xx

I will have to look again to confirm the firmware and dsp versions.

Using Astro Mobile Version 14 for programming

Any help is appreciated.
Some agencies like to remove the UCM before sending out to surplus sale, but I don't think that's your problem - but if it makes you feel better, two screws, lift the top cover off, open the top shield and you'll have your answer. But I believe you would just get a non-fatal fail code upon boot and transmit if it was strapped secure - make sure it's strapped clear in your codeplug.
dvfd21
New User

Post by dvfd21 »

Sorry for the confusion. I was looking at the wrong software. I am using Astro Spectra CPS version 05.02.00. As far as the missing UCM the radio still has factory seal and I am getting no fail codes. i turned off secure in the software is there something i am missing?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What is the part # on the control "head" extension cable that you are using?

Was this a complete setup that you bought or just pieces of a set up.

Jason
dvfd21
New User

Post by dvfd21 »

I am not sure of the part number on the cable but this was a complete set up seemed to be new in the box and has the factory seal on the top cover. I just was out there again looking at it and it seems that i can just barley hear the audio. Also it transmits on freq with monitor open but no pl or nac. I'm stumped.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

No PL I could write off to bad alignment. No audio.. maybe. No NAC? That is a different kettle of fish. For one thing, there is no such thing as "digital carrier squelch transmit" in the P25 world; you are ALWAYS transmitting a NAC. If you select DCSQ as the receive squelch you transmit NAC 293. If you don't specify a NAC you transmit 293. Simple as that.

Assuming these things:
-your power supply is good and your power connections are solid
-the alignment is spot-on
then I would have to say you have a bad VOCON. In a stretch I could see a bad command board or bad connection between the command and RF boards causing this, but my money's on the VOCON. Oh, by the way, have you checked the transmit alignment yet?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”