WWAN connection takes priority over faster WI-FI Connection

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

WWAN connection takes priority over faster WI-FI Connection

Post by jmr061 »

I have a computer that has sprint WWAN (3G). I have WI-FI as well...802.11N connected to my home cable service which obviously kicks 3G's ass in connection speed. But when they are both connected at the same time WWAN takes priority over the WI-FI for internet. WHY????? I have been researching this literally ALL DAY and I can't get it to work the way one would think it should....ie the faster connection has priority over the slower connection.

Using WIN7 professional. I have tried the 3G as a dial up and a NDIS connection and i get the same result no matter which one I have. I have the advanced bindings set for the WLAN being 2nd in order (LAN is first). I tried changing the metric settings. No dice.

I am really frustrated. I want both to be active so that when I am out mobile in the car WWAN runs and when I pull in the driveway WI-FI takes over. I can access my network stuff over WI-FI when both are operating but I want the faster internet too!!

Thanks

Jason
mr.syntrx

Re: WWAN connection takes priority over faster WI-FI Connect

Post by mr.syntrx »

Interface Metric is what you're after.

Network Connections
right click on your WLAN interface
Click Properties
Networking tab
Right click Internet Version Protocol 4, select Properties
click Advanced
At the bottom, uncheck Automatic Metric, set the Interface Metric to 1

Do the same for your WWAN interface, but set the metric higher. The interface with the lowest metric is favoured by the OS, so in this case the WLAN interface will always be favoured when both interfaces are available.

I normally use:

Ethernet = 1
WLAN = 2
WWAN = 3
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

mr.syntrx wrote:Interface Metric is what you're after.

Network Connections
right click on your WLAN interface
Click Properties
Networking tab
Right click Internet Version Protocol 4, select Properties
click Advanced
At the bottom, uncheck Automatic Metric, set the Interface Metric to 1

Do the same for your WWAN interface, but set the metric higher. The interface with the lowest metric is favoured by the OS, so in this case the WLAN interface will always be favoured when both interfaces are available.

I normally use:

Ethernet = 1
WLAN = 2
WWAN = 3

Been there done that...."I tried changing the metric settings. No dice."

It didn't work. I believe those are if your connected on the same network as it didn't work for me.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I should add the WI-FI is going into my network which consists of a wireless router going to a network switch and then the DNS/DHCP server.

Jason
bnn121

Post by bnn121 »

I've seen this issue with NetMotion.

Check the connection speed for the aircard.

Something tells me that the aircard thinks its a faster connection locally than the Wi-Fi.

Meaning, open the aircard properties and see what it is currently showing as connected. i.e. 100mbit, 1GB.

Try changing the aircard connection speed from auto to something slower than the wi-fi connection, either 10mbit half duplex or 10mbit full duplex and see what happens.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

bnn121 wrote:I've seen this issue with NetMotion.

Check the connection speed for the aircard.

Something tells me that the aircard thinks its a faster connection locally than the Wi-Fi.

Meaning, open the aircard properties and see what it is currently showing as connected. i.e. 100mbit, 1GB.

Try changing the aircard connection speed from auto to something slower than the wi-fi connection, either 10mbit half duplex or 10mbit full duplex and see what happens.
+1. My AT&T aircard tells windows that it's 485mpbs or something like that...
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

115.2kbps versus 65mbps. WI-FI wins that one, lol.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

and when I switch the aircard from dial up to ndis, it shows 2.4gbps. Still slower than the WI-FI but it still takes over.

Jason
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Did you try looking at what the routing table in the PC itself has. Maybe there is an errant static route in there pointing to the WWAN interface that is forcing your Internet connection to go that way.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I found info on routing tables but I think that is over my head.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I changed the WWAN to NDIS and made the metric 9999. I figured I'd just go for it all and put it at the bottom number and leave everything else as auto. It seems to work this way. Of course WIN7 shows this as an unidentified network and has an "X" through the network connection symbol.

When I do the same with the dial up connection (RAS) it reverts to WWAN over WIFI for internet though........???

Jason

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”