Minitor V will NOT monitor channel

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

asmitty0010

Minitor V will NOT monitor channel

Post by asmitty0010 »

Out of the blue my minitor V dual channel will not monitor or Scan unless i hold down the Push to listen button. This has happend for no reason. Anybody deal with this before?? I have "B" to monitor F1 and "C" to scan F1 and F2 and will not open audio unless PTL is pressed

I have access to pager programming software and cradle.
JeffFireRadio

Re: Minitor V will NOT monitor channel

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Yes, and it's time for a Minitor 5 vacation to beautiful El Paso TX. That's right, asmitty, you and your Minitor 5 (okay, just the pager) will spend three wonderful days and nights in the fun-filled border town's Motorola depot. Actual retail price...about $75.

Seriously, we've been seeing this and similar issues with our MVs and we send them off to depot under the flat rate plan (unless, of course, they're under warranty). There's just something going wrong in the processor and most times it comes back from repair as a new unit (with the original serial number, tho).

I have had one fix itself with a re-program, but the odds are extremely low of that working for most of these issues. If you're a self-servicing shop, just mail it in. If not, take it to your local MSS or whatever shop you bought it from. They'll get it to/from for you.

Good luck.
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

Theres some good news...should have kept the Minitor II.

Item was purchased new from ebay in June 2008 so no warranty is available. I've opened a case with motorola on my account I have with them but i'm waiting to hear back from. Could I bring it to a local Motorola dealer here even though I did not purchase it from them? Would they send it to the depot for me?

Thanks
Al

Post by Al »

An MSS can send it to the depot for you, as can many independent radio service shops, or if you have MOL access, you can send it to the depot yourself. Via MOL, you select 'initiate service request' from the top menu bar, fill out the form that comes up, enclose a copy of it with your shipment and send to the depot.
MOTO_LR

Post by MOTO_LR »

We have seen this problem several times. We currently have 5 VHF SV Minitor V pagers in the shop with the problem.
All 5 pagers are from the same Lot / Order. Clearly a manufacture / component failure issue.
This problem presents a safety issue for the user. The user receives the original alert and message, then expects
the pager to revert to "Monitor" as per the program. The user never hears updated messages that were given to
direct the users response. This has potential for placing the user in a dangerous situation.
The failure happens in a manner such that the user may not be aware of the problem. The nightly pager test
was just fine but the user does not realize the monitor function failure.

I have opened a case seeking help from Motorola. I am hopeful that they will issue a recall for this problem since
it could present a liability to the user.

Possibly we should use this forum to list serial/model numbers of Minitor V's with this failure. Maybe this will help us
to identify units in particular serial number ranges with the potential for this failure.

The failed Minitor V's that I currently have are Model A03KMS9238BC, 151-158.9975 MHz., RLD1026A,
Serial Number range 136WHQ204n through 136WHQ205n

Bob
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

136WHQ204n
= Date of
1st half of August
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Post by northstarfire0693 »

I have the same problem. I wonder what the cost will be to fix ?
MOTO_LR

Post by MOTO_LR »

This is a known problem to Motorola.
Via MOL, open a case about the problem (Minitor V - No Monitor function)
They will give you a "SP Authorization Number" to return it to the Service Depot for a free repair.
If you do not have a Motorola On Line account, the dealer you purchased your Minitor V from
should do this for you.
You can also call 1-800-814-0601 and open a case.
Bob
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Post by northstarfire0693 »

Big M is telling me that I have to pay a flat rate for it to be repaired....WTF

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”