Windows 7 and Motorola

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

Windows 7 and Motorola

Post by efc »

Hello all,

This may have already been covered,butwhats the deal with Windows xp virtual machine and Moto software.Yesterday I was reading a CM300,sucessfully,ONCE :-o Then when I tried to read radio again,I could not do it again.I think it may be the port settings,but I stopped Virtual Machine,restarted the entire machine,still could not read.Here is what I do to use:

1.Plug in USB cable,which is port 3

2.Got to USB and click on attach.

3.Then read,but when I first used any software,I had to setup the port when I first use software.

4.Waris seems OK,along with Trbo.Have not really tried any Mag one software for BPR 40.

So anyway,it seems as though I have port issues,any suggestions?

Thanks.
John
Al

Re: Windows 7 and Motorola

Post by Al »

Please tell us what version of the commercial series cps that you're using.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

I tried a machine with Win 7 and pretty much got everything to work directly in Win 7 on a desktop with a real RS232 serial port. The only program I had issues with which should work properly is Mototrbo, I could not get it to create it's network reliably every time. I gave up as I don't feel it is worth the hassle yet. I will be buying some new laptops soon for my shop and will splurge for either the Durabooks or Panasonic CF53 if they will release them with WinXP.
efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

Post by efc »

Well, May have figured it out.At one tine Waris,bpr 40,min 5 all worked.Went to a cust.the other day,Waris stopprd working,after much grief,it looks like you have to go control panel,power options,advanced options,then go toUSB and disable "on battery" and "plugged in".So far it looks like that may do it.Apparently the laptop USB goes to "sleep" which of course will also affect "Win XP virtual machine"........We will see what happens.........
John
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The Dell E-series laptops have a "Legacy Extender" that snaps on the bottom and provides a real serial port. I've used this for quite a bit of older Motorola and Kenwood software (some native in Win7, some via XP VM) with great success.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Our new HP/Compaq laptops have a nice, compact docking station which doesn't require power in order for the serial port to work. Wasn't really an option with the older laptops due to large size, but these ones work quite nicely.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”