New XTS3000 owner here!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

New XTS3000 owner here!

Post by flyinace09 »

Greetings all,

I just recently took the dive for an XTS3000R Model II which I bought for a good price in pretty darn good shape. New battery, charger, antenna, and all the trimmings as well. All matching tags, and encryption module installed (never think I'll use it... but good to have).

I currently serve in the Navy as a Fire Controlman - working on combat direction systems, though also trained to repair comms and radar equipment.
On the side, I have always been interested in communications and have been a comms person for CAP, first in NJ now coming to a unit in VA.

So, now I have this radio, and trying to figure out everything about it. Been pouring over information here, but its quite a different animal from my HT1250 (which isn't NTIA compatible as per our equipment list). I've never dealt with P25 before, and VA is in the process of switching over, if they haven't done so already (haven't taken the dive into their information yet with all my work going on).

The details on my radio are:
Model# HO9KDF9PW7BN (says 146-174... will it actually go down towards 136?)
Flashcode 500001-000000-8 (Conventional and IMBE operation)
Firmware R07.13.00
DSP N08.02.08

My questions now are...

1. Do I have the correct FlashPort codes to have P25 and analog voice over simplex or repeater? We do not run any trunked networks for CAP or any other interop agency in VA, so I don't think all the other options I see on other radios would do me much good...

2. With Astro CPS R05.03.00 (what we have at my command for our old unit radios that are all now XTS2500s), can I upgrade to the newest HOST and DSP firmwares? Or am I stuck bringing it to a dealer to have it flashed? I can't recall if the upgrade came with CPS, or is an individual package.

3. PolarisUSA Rib-less Model 14-RBLS is the cable I bought for programming, since we don't have a SmartRIB or Jedi-series cable anymore. Good purchase? Or waste of money?

4. Would an alignment be necessary?

And lastly - anything the professional community would recommend I do to get everything to the newest versions? Tips or tricks I might not know of? Anything would be appreciated! Being a lowly E-4 in the military and volunteering spare time to CAP means not much spare cash to support my hobby/learning/volunteer service. So I am hoping I won't be (essentially) sodomized by a Motorola dealer for any options/updates/etc.

Thanks!
mr.syntrx

Re: New XTS3000 owner here!

Post by mr.syntrx »

flyinace09 wrote:
The details on my radio are:
Model# HO9KDF9PW7BN (says 146-174... will it actually go down towards 136?)
You bet.
Flashcode 500001-000000-8 (Conventional and IMBE operation)
Firmware R07.13.00
DSP N08.02.08

My questions now are...

1. Do I have the correct FlashPort codes to have P25 and analog voice over simplex or repeater? We do not run any trunked networks for CAP or any other interop agency in VA, so I don't think all the other options I see on other radios would do me much good...
You certainly do.
2. With Astro CPS R05.03.00 (what we have at my command for our old unit radios that are all now XTS2500s), can I upgrade to the newest HOST and DSP firmwares? Or am I stuck bringing it to a dealer to have it flashed? I can't recall if the upgrade came with CPS, or is an individual package.
You need a SmartRIB, which is pretty expensive and you need to get the flash upgrade kit from Motorola, which is a hassle. Given that your firmware is reasonably current, I wouldn't bother unless you're having a problem that's fixed in newer firmware. If you really want a firmware bump anyway, there are folks on the board that can do it for you.
3. PolarisUSA Rib-less Model 14-RBLS is the cable I bought for programming, since we don't have a SmartRIB or Jedi-series cable anymore. Good purchase? Or waste of money?
Motorola RLN4008 RIB and the official Jedi cable is always the safest option, but I've got no experience with the Polaris cable so I can't say one way or another.
4. Would an alignment be necessary?
It's a good idea with any used radio you get.
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

Some of the Ribless cables work, and some not, including the Motorola OEM cables. It depends on your RS-232 port. I have a MAHA ribless cable that works on my PC, but not on an old laptop. The RS-232 voltage level on the old laptop is too low to power the chip in the RIBless cable.

You might be able to find a used RIB programming cable on flea-bay, and you can buy Chinese knock-off RIBs that work OK. I have $25 invested in both, and they work on any computer.

Good luck, and have fun! If you haven't dealt with Motorola CPS before, get ready for a learning curve!

Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC
flyinace09

Post by flyinace09 »

mr.syntax - Thank you for the information! I am hoping I can find someone on here who can do the upgrade and an alignment, since I am planning on both of those happening. I have the required bench equipment for an alignment, but without specs and software, I am up a creek. So I am hoping someone else would have an easier time than me with that. And as for the firmware - I am a stickler for the "best and newest" but I might not do it right away.

Pierre - I have used RSS before, but never CPS. My coworker (the technician who maintains my commands Motorola "bricks") says its some of the worst software he's ever had to learn. I am going to sit down some time soon (once I get the cable) and give it a try.
The cable would be a Serial Rib-less cable, but attached to a USB-Serial adapter... since most of our systems are not equipped with legacy ports now... and my computers at home most certainly don't have it. The 5v reference from a USB cable should be enough though I'd hope...

So any options or such I should consider for this radio? Like I said, the P25 standard is "Greek" to me, and I've been trying to play catch-up since my work is usually with HF/UHF/Satcom on the side of Naval LINK systems.

And if anyone can help out with an alignment and/or firmware update... I'll be one hell of a happy guy! I tried acquiring such updates/services from my command, but we use XTS2500s primarily now, and no one here has ever done alignments before. My ship's philosophy is now "if its broke, replace it".
flyinace09

Post by flyinace09 »

Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy a refurb kit or new housing for the radio? I am a usually not so OCD but the PTT button has a good amount of wiggle to it and sticks sometimes, and there's various scratches. I think its time for a new case. Can't seem to find a Model II case for a 3000R though :\

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”