Programming on a MacBook

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

Programming on a MacBook

Post by Terriers618 »

Hello,

This may have come up before however I wanted to share a pretty sweet setup I am using with fellow Apple fans. Now that most programming cables are USB and our inventory is all using newer CPS, I have migrated fully to programming from my MacBook Pro. I am running Mac OSX Lion as my top level OS. From there I run VMWare Fusion and boot up a copy of Windows 7 in unity mode so my CPS applications look like they are running natively on OSX. I routinely manipulate Astro Mobile and Portable CPS. I worked with Waris Pro Series before I lost my USB to Serial connector.

I couldn't be happier with this setup. I rarely pull out the toughbook anymore. I have a core i7 processor and 4gigs of memory. For the Windows 7 virtual machine I have provisioned out 1gig of memory. Windows 7 runs faster and smoother on my MacBook than it does on the toughbook or desktop.

If anyone has any questions I would gladly share my setup in further detail!
Astro Spectra

Re: Programming on a MacBook

Post by Astro Spectra »

I use my wife's iMAC which has Apple Bootcamp and Windows 7 for the Astro25 CPS. She doesn't actually use Snow Leopard (the native MAC OS) any more. You can actually just stick a Win 7 disk in an Intel iMAC or MacBook and blow away the MAC OS if you wish. Anyway works fine with CPS 13 and later.
Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

Re: Programming on a MacBook

Post by Terriers618 »

I am a huge fan of the apple operating system. However I still wanted to have the functionality to run windows based programs such as Moto CPS. VMWare fusion is an excellent product to virtually running windows within Mac OS. The support and sharing of interfaces and resources is unparalleled to any other virtual operating system setup on a personal computer that I have ever seen before!

Return to “Radio Programming”