MOTOROLA R-2200A

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4LHQ

MOTOROLA R-2200A

Post by KG4LHQ »

Wanting to get into being able to tune duplexers and basic radio stuff just wondering if the R-2200A will do the job and what is a fair/reasonable price for such unit?
Andy Corbin

Re: MOTOROLA R-2200A

Post by Andy Corbin »

KG4LHQ wrote:Wanting to get into being able to tune duplexers and basic radio stuff just wondering if the R-2200A will do the job and what is a fair/reasonable price for such unit?
You will need a service monitor with a tracking generator and spectrum analyzer. Most if not all of the R2200's I have seen are simple, basic units without the spectrum analyzer or TG. The R2400 series I have seen have the spectrum analyzer but have never seen any of that model that had the tracking generator.

If you shop around, an R2200 can be had for $500-$750 depending on condition. The R2400's, a bit more.

To get the tracking generator and spectrum analyzer options, you will need to look at the IFR1200 Super S or an IFR 1200S with the TG option. The IFR 1500 has everything you need. The IFR 1600 and 1900 are equipped with the Spectrum Analyzer and Tracking Generator but you are looking at around $2000 and up.

There may be some of the Motorola monitors that have the Tracking Generator option such as the R2600. I don't know for sure.

If you are on a tight budget, you could consider a Cushman CE50A/TG. These monitors have been around for quite awhile and the ones with the Spectrum and TG options can be found. Just be careful, I have seen a few of them where the YIG oscillator is getting to the edge of operational functionality simply because of age.
jry

Post by jry »

actaully I got by for years just using a basic service monitor and tuning duplexers.
Just using the wattmeter to peak the pass on xmit and the sig to peak the pass on RX.
A portable on the output channel can be used to tune the reject on the RX leg and the repeater receiver connected to the TX leg can be used to adjust the TX notch.
Real test is the power level to the antenna as level as the RX sens and desense ( used a 30db tap for this ).
Usually tune into a load first and terminate open ports as well.

If you want a great bench tool the HP 8924c is a fantastic value. Too heavy for remote work and takes some getting use to due to the complexity ...really optimized for automated testing but operationally the same as the HP 8920 series of field units
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Andy Corbin wrote: To get the tracking generator and spectrum analyzer options, you will need to look at the IFR1200 Super S or an IFR 1200S with the TG option. The IFR 1500 has everything you need. The IFR 1600 and 1900 are equipped with the Spectrum Analyzer and Tracking Generator but you are looking at around $2000 and up.
All that and no mention of the IFR COM-120B. I'm hurt <sniff/>
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
jry

Post by jry »

Sorry ...34 years at HP ...started when we were primarily a test equipment company. Still amazed today at the quality of equipment we turned out that is still fully functional decades after it was made. ( still use an 8901 on the bench along with other HP/ Agilent including the 8924 )
I do use IFR for the occasional field work ...which is what they were optimized for.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Wowbagger wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote: To get the tracking generator and spectrum analyzer options, you will need to look at the IFR1200 Super S or an IFR 1200S with the TG option. The IFR 1500 has everything you need. The IFR 1600 and 1900 are equipped with the Spectrum Analyzer and Tracking Generator but you are looking at around $2000 and up.
All that and no mention of the IFR COM-120B. I'm hurt <sniff/>
Awright Awright!!.....You can also use the IFR COM-120B which goes for around $4500 and up.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Andy Corbin wrote:Awright Awright!!.....You can also use the IFR COM-120B which goes for around $4500 and up.
Egads! The COM-120B is going for that much over a 1600?! (for some reason, I really don't follow the used market sale prices on Aeroflex gear...)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Wowbagger wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote:Awright Awright!!.....You can also use the IFR COM-120B which goes for around $4500 and up.
Egads! The COM-120B is going for that much over a 1600?! (for some reason, I really don't follow the used market sale prices on Aeroflex gear...)
Saw one ->listed<- for $4750 on Ebay. Haven't tracked what they actually sell for. However, I think the Com-120's have sort of a "cult" type following, kind of like Collins ham gear. My impression is the COM-120's were designed entirely for two-way, where the 1600 and 1900's while serving well as general two-way boxes, were also designed more for cell service. You probably know more about that than I, but that is my impression.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”