2003 Passat AC fan RFI

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n3chu

2003 Passat AC fan RFI

Post by n3chu »

Hi, I have a question about quieting a noisy AC fan. Does anyone know if the Motorola shops have a fix for an AC fan that is radiating a whining noise that I am getting on 10 and 6M FM ? I am using a Syntor-x lowband and have filtered all DC leads but recently found that its being radiated from the FAN and is comming in through the antennas.I put some caps acrossed the leads at the fan but it didnt work at all. if theres help I sure could use some . thank you all very much The fan is a two speed and is run by a controller. Davie n-3-c-h-u at atlanticbb dot net
A Stranger is just a friend you havent met yet
ke7joi

Re: 2003 Passat AC fan RFI

Post by ke7joi »

Hello

I had the same problem in a mountaineer the brushes in the fan motor were bad all i could do was change the motor
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

Thanks for your reply, The fan runs great just needs to be quieted down. and am sure somone else has had the same problem. I fixed every other noise and this is the loudest. Davie
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

Please, does anyone know if the Motorola shops have a filter that will remedy my fan whining noise?? thanks all. Davie
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

Hello

The brushes are just starting to wear out the fan will still run until the brushes fail completely thats what happend to me in the winter the only reason I knew it was going to happen was the noise in my radios includeing my spectra.
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

Thank you for your reply, unfortunatly its made this noise since it was new. I added caps acreossed the power line right at the fan motor and that did very little, I ordered a new replacement fan and am going to shield it from the fan down to the controller and hopfully ground both ends of the shield to chassis. the fans on VW passats are china or japan made and come in a composit frame but they DO have a power cord with a plug so after I shield it it will be plug and play.(I hope) Davie
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

I installed a new fan and shielded it still the same loud whining sound (like a fire sirene) so brushes are not the problem.Davie
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I've run into similar problems with cooling fans on heavy equipment nailing VHF receivers. They created a cloud of RFI that desensed the rcvrs by about 10db. The best I could do was attenuate it 5db with caps on the fan power lines. It was radiating from the fan housings, and short of experimenting with different manufacturer fans, I could not eliminate it.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Has anyone tried to put some of the snap on ferrite cores on the wires? For the low frequency, it would take a good sized core, but it's worth a try. Maybe even make a couple of turns through the core.

Jim

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”