Astro Spectra "Out of range"

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MEGA14

Astro Spectra "Out of range"

Post by MEGA14 »

I did the search before deciding to post this because I didn't find a clear answer to the problem. Perhaps the answer is to complex for me to understand it as I'm not hands-on when it comes to this radio, I require someones expertise in dealing with it.

Anyway, the radio is an Astro Spectra low-split vhf with detached head. Not sure which nor if that matters. The radio is turned on, says "out of range" and then what it's tuned to which is a frequency in the immediate area and produces o moderately loud tone intermittently for about 2-3 seconds.

The antenna was checked by a radio shop and is good. It is wired properly and the cables are attached properly.

Is it internal, then?

I am very appreciative of anyone's help but I only ask one thing: Please don't take guesses as to what it is. "Maybe..." or "Did you..." , please leave them out. If someone knows what it is, I'll even pay for their services if it's possible to solve the problem that way.

Thanks in advance.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Astro Spectra "Out of range"

Post by jmr061 »

I don't believe your going to get many responses with the statement saying don't answer unless you know the exact problem. There are so many questions to be answered.

First off your using an astro spectra vhf low split which your getting a visual and audible out of range indication. This tells me your radio is programmed for trunking and isn't making the system. Did this problem just start or was it working and now isn't? If it was working and now isn't its more than likely a hardware issue. If its a new radio to the system then its probably a programming problem.

Now if your not accessing a trunking system well then....

Please help us out with some more information.

Jason
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

If it is a trunking radio, and has been rebanded, the DSP will need to be at least 11.70, otherwise, it will be out of range, even though it may be rebanded.

The bottom line, we will need more info to try and figure what is going on.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by resqguy911 »

SG - why would rebanding affect a VHF radio?

MEGA14 - All signs point to this being set for a trunked system. That is the only reason it would say out of range. The simple answer is to take it to the system manager to whom it belongs for their assistance, or program it for something conventional if it is no longer on that system.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

resqguy911 wrote:SG - why would rebanding affect a VHF radio?

MEGA14 - All signs point to this being set for a trunked system. That is the only reason it would say out of range. The simple answer is to take it to the system manager to whom it belongs for their assistance, or program it for something conventional if it is no longer on that system.
I must have missed the VHF part, that's what I get for just "skimming". If the radio is trunked, and the control channels have changed for some reason, it will go "out of range", it is very possible that the problem is a bad RF board, as that is a common issue with the Spectra radio.

If nothing has changed system wise, it is time to put the radio on the bench and verify the issue. i have not seen the RF board issues in the Astro Spectra's as much as the old analog Spectra's, but I have had a few Astro mobiles with bad RF boards, and they would exhibit the issue that you are experiencing.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by MEGA14 »

I apologize for the attitude. Very frustrating getting answers and that's where that comes from.

I don't know what the flashcode is because it isn't my radio, it's a friend's.

It is trying to access a trunking system to my knowledge. I asked him about whether this is a new occurrence or if it's been happening since he got it but no reply yet. He bought it privately so there isn't anyone to go to for technical advice/service.

If you need any more info, let me know specifically and I'll try to get it on here.

Thanks for the help.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I'd tell your friend to get on the board and ask the question himself. I know your trying to help but getting it from the horse's mouth so the speak would be better.

Jason
MEGA14 wrote:I apologize for the attitude. Very frustrating getting answers and that's where that comes from.

I don't know what the flashcode is because it isn't my radio, it's a friend's.

It is trying to access a trunking system to my knowledge. I asked him about whether this is a new occurrence or if it's been happening since he got it but no reply yet. He bought it privately so there isn't anyone to go to for technical advice/service.

If you need any more info, let me know specifically and I'll try to get it on here.

Thanks for the help.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

OK, trying to access a trunking system. Bought it 'privately'. Trunking system.

I am unaware of very many 'private' VHF trunking systems in the USA, if that is where this is.

Bottom line. If he is AUTHORIZED to be on that trunking system, have your 'friend' take the radio to the system administrator, point to it, and say 'Broke!'

If he is UNAUTHORIZED on the radio system, tell your 'friend', to unprogram the radio from the trunking system, and take it to a service shop with TEST equipment to verify what is actually going on.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”