RICK to dispatch console

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

RICK to dispatch console

Post by Terriers618 »

I have a wireline between my CGE system location and the location where I have a rick repeater setup. The distance is less than a quarter of a mile. Is it possible to interface with wireline into the rick so that I may manipulate TX/RX from the console in a full duplex way. Half duplex is fine if necessary. Similar to how you setup a 4wire connection to a MTR or Quantar standalone repeater?

Did some searching here but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Bill_G

Re: RICK to dispatch console

Post by Bill_G »

Does you RIC have a wireline interface? Some do, some don't. Some are 2W, some are 4W.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

I don't believe it does. It is a motorola RICK HLN3333B. Maybe I am missing something here? If there is a RIC with a wireline interface that you suggest let me know I will buy it tomorrow.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Find yourself a used DigiTAC comparator, or an even older SpectraTAC comparator, or a very versatile Raytheon SNV-12 comparator. They have repeater controls and a console interface. Optionally, purchase a repeater like a quantar or an MTR2000 with internal repeat and a wireline card to interface to a console.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Yea thanks Bill. Maybe you'd be interested in donating the money for a quantar? I am trying to work with the equipment I have. Ideally I would like to hook the wireline somehow right into the RICK (HLN3333B) or the mobile radios themselves if its possible? All I need on the CGE console and through my CEB is the audio and ability to tx. The BIM I have available was previously used for a standalone quantar via 4wire.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

There is an accessory port on the HLN3333. You could try interfacing the Gaitronics ITA2000 or similar tone remote adaptor to it.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Bill_G wrote:There is an accessory port on the HLN3333. You could try interfacing the Gaitronics ITA2000 or similar tone remote adaptor to it.
This. The accessory port on a RICK works the same as the accessory port on a R1225 repeater, and the pins follow the same numbering as a regular Maxtrac. Interfacing one to most any aftermarket tone remote adapter should be a cinch.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Ok great. I will look into picking up a tone remote adapter. If all I needed was rx and tx audio is there any other connection solutions? Just out of curiosity.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

I temporarily took an MT200 off of a CDM and hooked it into the accy port on the RICK. Seems to work great after a few adjustments to the front switch config. We are working with XTL mobiles on the RICK so I don't need the ability to change channels or anything. My end goal would be to have full duplex at the console and turn encryption on and off via the 4wire through the tone remote. Any thoughts on how to make this happen? Is it even feasible through the described situation?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Are you running on a channel that can operate full duplex? ie: tx freq does not equal rx. If so, then you can install a duplexer.

As for enable / disable encryption, you'll have to read whether the XTL will accept an external switch for that function through the accy port (I don't think it does, but I could be wrong), and whether your choice in tone remote adapter has signalling closures it can apply based on the function tones received from the console.

Last edited by Bill_G on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Yes the channel can operate full duplex. There is a duplexer in the mix already. The actual wire that hooks into the MT200 through the phone bundle only has one twisted pair. I will find another wire set with two twisted pair and put the MT200 in 4wire mode to accomplish full duplex at the console.

As for encryption you are right. I don't know of any settings in the XTL to enable or disable encryption. Unless maybe there is some way to modify TX encryption based upon mic on or off hook? I am using an MT200 or ITA2000a whichever model you prefer to call it by. As far as I know the only difference is who's brand name is slapped on the front.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You want a method through the XTL accy plug. Read up on whether the XTL can do mode select (channel change) through the accy plug. The model of remote adapter you have will do it in four bit bcd (sixteen possible choices). So, if the XTL will also, you can have a clear mode, and an encrypted mode. Then you program your console for F1 clear, F2 encrypted.
Will

Post by Will »

How far is the repeater from the BIM?
What radios are the repeater made up from?
Do you want dispatch over ride of the repeater audio being transmitted?

With the above inf I will see if some of our existing wiring configurations will work for you.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Will, The repeater is about 400 feet from the BIM. I have an ITA2000 connected to the accy port of a motorola rick. From there I have a 4wire connection back to the BIM and full duplex audio form the repeater setup on my centracom gold elite. The radios are two XTL1500's.

Since that is all working great here is my next obstacle. I will post a new thread on this. I want to tone remote control the XTL1500's so that I can enable or disable encryption on the TX radio or possibly change the channel (switch from digital to analog)
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Back to this.... recently something went wrong with my setup. Somehow the tx audio from the console is coming back out of the speakers on the centracom gold elite. Taking the repeater setup out of the equation resolved so we know the problem doesn't lie with a crossed pair of copper somewhere. I also removed both XTL's form the equation leaving just the ITA2000 connected to the CEB and the RICK. I swapped the ITA2000 for the identical motorola branded version and it seems to have resolved my issue.

Anyone know of these ITA2000's going bad and causing the tx audio to be sent back down the 4wire pair?
d119

Post by d119 »

Are you running 2-wire or 4-wire? If you're running 2-wire but configured as 4-wire, this'll happen.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

4wire and the cge is configured as such
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

Theory was proven with this setup and we purchased a P25 repeater. Thanks for all the help guys!

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”