Mobile antenna question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NHfirefighter

Mobile antenna question

Post by NHfirefighter »

I'm getting ready to do an install and have noticed Laird has an end feed VHF 1/4 wave antenna. Can someone help me understand how this differs from a base load 1/4 wave antenna? Would there be any advantages to this type of antenna? The model number is CW1320 I have always used A B132S in the past but was considering the CW1320 this time.
Thanks!
Bill_G

Re: Mobile antenna question

Post by Bill_G »

The CW1320 is a wideband antenna that operates from 132 to 174 without trimming the rod. You get over 40Mhz of operation without tuning the antenna. For the right guy, this could be handy. OTOH, the B132 series is a coil fed quarter wave that you trim the rod for the center freq. You get 4 or 5Mhz of operation. They are quiet antennas compared to standard quarter wave rods because the coil helps eliminate impulse noise like from your ignition system.
NHfirefighter

Post by NHfirefighter »

Thanks this helps. What does "end feed" mean? I have never seen this description on other antennas. I have tried searching for information but can't get a good explanation.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Most antennas are center fed. The mount in the roof is attached to the ground plane forming one half of the antenna. The rod screws on forming the other half. End fed usually applies to half wave antennas that do not require a ground plane. How the term applies for Laird's antenna would have to be answered by them.
NHfirefighter

Post by NHfirefighter »

Ok thanks, I was wondering if they were implying this is a no ground plane antenna... I will find out.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”