BPR40 magone reciever problems

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kkarm
New User

BPR40 magone reciever problems

Post by kkarm »

I need help to find ceramic fliters used in BPR40. there are two one is narrow band the other is wide band. I have found working on Vertex and Icom that a bad batch of ceramic filters causes very bad reciever sense. when cf1001 and cf1002 in the vertex are changed it fixes the problem. However the markings on the BPR40 filters are M55GW AND M55FW on the vertex and icom they are M50fw and M50GW the g is for narrow band and the f is for wide band. if you have a bpr40 programmed for narrow and has bad rx, then reprogram for wide the rx is good , but I cannot find these ceramic filters. any help would be appreciated. I think the manufacturer is Marata. Thanks Kkarm
CircleBat

Re: BPR40 magone reciever problems

Post by CircleBat »

the motorola bpr40 and the vertex radios are the same radios because the BPR40 was built by vertex for motorola and vertex is owned by Motorola.... the ceramic filters should be interchangable.. the ceramic filters and the IF crystals along with the leaky caps that get soaked on the board is causing alot of your RX sense problems

CircleBat
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

CircleBat wrote:the motorola bpr40 and the vertex radios are the same radios because the BPR40 was built by vertex for motorola and vertex is owned by Motorola.... the ceramic filters should be interchangable.. the ceramic filters and the IF crystals along with the leaky caps that get soaked on the board is causing alot of your RX sense problems

CircleBat
Are you sure about this? The BPR40 was released a couple years before Vertex and Motorola got together. IIRC the first Motorola branded Vertex product was the PM1200.
CircleBat

Post by CircleBat »

I am 100percent sure... the BPR 40 was built by vertex to go after the icom and kenwood lower tier radios... comfirmed this at IWCE... IF you look at the clip and inside of a BPR40, its the same as the vertex line
Sarge, USMC

Post by Sarge, USMC »

those filters are available from Motorola.
Semper Fi,

Sarge
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Sarge, USMC wrote:those filters are available from Motorola.
Do you have a Motorola part number for them?
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

BPR40's are shipped from BG Tech International, Grand City Plaza, Hong Kong to Motorola USA. Not sure who really manufacturers them.
"The world runs on radio."
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Labels say they're made in Korea...hmm
kkarm
New User

Post by kkarm »

I cannot find a part number for the two ceramic filters in the BPR40 there are no schematics. I think the manufacturer is Marata.
cruzinlow
New User

Post by cruzinlow »

Found this post looking for something else, so might be too late.
The Vertex ceramic crystal filter is NOT the same as the BPR40. 450 (printed as 50)vs. 455 khz (printed as 55).
If you still need the part number I can dig up the ones we use for wide and narrow. Have replaced many in the BPR40's. We use a generic supplier from the www.
Don.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

I would like to have the part numbers and supplier information.
"The world runs on radio."
mike m

Post by mike m »

Are you sure that they were made by Murata ?

The reason I ask is because I have some similar 455 KHz and 450 KHz IF filters here in an avionics radio but these are made by ECS and they are an ltm455fw and ltm450fw, these are marked m455f and m450F on them and they are made by ECS INC. of Olathe Kansas.

These filters were discontinued a couple of years ago.

In my radio the M450 is a 450 KHz IF and it is used in my application for a US forest service dual, main and guard receiver application, so that the 2nd guard receivers 450 KHz I.F. did not talk to the main receivers 455 KHz IF.

If yours are a 5 pin rectangular leaded part measuring 1/4 " tall by 1/4" wide by 2/5 " long then they sure sound like it could be the same filter.

Mike
MetroMan

Post by MetroMan »

Motorola part numbers
91012021001 Narrow band filter
91012022001 Wide band filter
75012112001 Poron pad
Each lists @ $5.50
Rich
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

Here's some insight to the source of BPR40s... The Midland "Legacy" line of portables like PL5164 and PL2245 or something like that use programming software that looks almost identical to the BPR40 software, in terms of GUI, and they also program similarly (press and hold a button to put it into programming mode, bla bla).

Vertex just released a tech bulletin acknowledging a problem with radios exposed to humidity, for silver and phosphorus would buildup in the ceramic filters. The fix is, obviously, to replace the filters! We are finding that the most common problem with Vertex radios coming in for service is bad filters, on both mobiles and portables.

My two cents!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

Here's some insight to the source of BPR40s... The Midland "Legacy" line of portables like PL5164 and PL2245 or something like that use programming software that looks almost identical to the BPR40 software, in terms of GUI, and they also program similarly (press and hold a button to put it into programming mode, bla bla).

Vertex just released a tech bulletin acknowledging a problem with radios exposed to humidity, for silver and phosphorus would buildup in the ceramic filters. The fix is, obviously, to replace the filters! We are finding that the most common problem with Vertex radios coming in for service is bad filters, on both mobiles and portables.

My two cents!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”