Motorola Pulsar T1979A

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

candrist
What radios do you own?: XPR5550/7550, MTS2000 800MHz

Motorola Pulsar T1979A

Post by candrist »

Can anybody tell me about a T1979A pulsar?

I can't seem to find any information about this model number or if it is even a pulsar.

Information I would like to know:
Band? UHF or VHF
Frequency Range?
Did it come standard with a duplexer?

Thanks,
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Motorola Pulsar T1979A

Post by com501 »

Which type of head do you have?

I am assuming your unit is complete, otherwise, without the cable and head you are SOL.

Do you have any chassis assembly part numbers to share?

The VHF Pulsar II is useless, as the split offset is more than 5 megs and is not changable. The UHF and VHF both have a duplexer (sort of) which is part of the receiver front end.
candrist

Post by candrist »

I am actually looking to purchase one, so I don't have it yet. Not sure on the head, but that is good to know.

I was just given the following:

Model. T1879A
Rcv. RC0047

I am trying to get pictures of it.
com501

Post by com501 »

You DO realize that to do anything with this radio is a major project?

They don't have any provision for simplex operation, no squelch circuit, and no provision for any kind of PL/DPL encode or decode, and getting any sort of manuals is going to be tough.

You would probably be better off finding a Mocom 70 (same vintage) or something newer and synthesized (like an X9000 or Spectra) that does better. IF full duplex is what you have in mind, this is going to be a long winter project.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Most of the old Pulsars I had, have ALL been VHF and used for the IMTS service.
I used to remove the outdated phone junk, modify the input and output, bypass the SWR detector, and connect the proper voltages to the leads and install a 4PDT relay for simple T/R switching.
A simple NPN(2n222) works great, with a 1n4007 diode for inductive kickback on the relay coil.
I always had a solid 40 watts on the entire 2 meter band, but the heatsink was heavy.
You do have a little modification to perform, as the first transistor is NOT required if you are driving the brick with an HT, and if driving with 5 watts, the second stage will have to eliminated.
Capacitive coupling works well for the bypassing, but testing to find which values work well across the entire band takes a little time though.

I wouldn't even consider wasting ANY time attempting to place these bricks back into any type of service!
tear it down and convert the amp deck for HT use, you'll be far happier with the results!
xmo

Post by xmo »

The T1879 is a second generation VHF Pulsar which was configured for use on RCC channels and came with a Pulsar-II head.

AEC is right - the PA's make bullet-proof amps for two meters.

I've had one running in repeater service for years [driven by a Maxtrac RF board] - after all - they were intended to transmit continuously for the duration of an entire phone call.
com501

Post by com501 »

I can remember driving from Crows Landing to the Sacto airport one day, talking the entire time on mine. It never faltered.
candrist

Post by candrist »

Thanks for all of your info.

I am looking to find a UHF Pulsar to turn into a portable UHF Ham Radio tactical repeater. My friend converted a T1739B and I would like to do the same.

I guess with this one not even being the right band I should probably pass on it.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

The duplexer has the first mixer inside it. It suffers terrible RX losses if you try to tune it low out high in like a common repeater split. Never went any further to try to modify it, tossed it.

Chris
N9LLO
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

com501 wrote:..and getting any sort of manuals is going to be tough.
Actually... a quick search of everyone's favorite auction site turned up a heap of reasonably-priced Pulsar manuals.

I actually have a black Pulsar II control head.. wouldn't mind finding a cable and drawer to complete the kit.
com501

Post by com501 »

eBay is stil in business?? (/snark)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”