Need light weight uhf combiner to go in aircraft

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Need light weight uhf combiner to go in aircraft

Post by mrtor »

Hello from wet old Melbourne, Australia

I have been asked to put together a package for a sporting event that will have 2 capacity plus bases flying to give us 4 cap.plus channels of UHF trunking

Have 2 dr3000's = easy bit
Have 1 useable hole in the plane to mount antenna = getting more difficult
Have 24volts dc at 20 amps = handy

I need some advice on a light weight uhf combiner (470 mhz tx 475 mhz rx) to take the 2 dr3000's into just 1 antenna

We would run the bases only at 5 - 8 watts which I understand makes the whole combiner package a bit easier and smaller

Thoughts on what I should be looking at would be appreciated

TIA
Mike
mr.syntrx

Re: Need light weight uhf combiner to go in aircraft

Post by mr.syntrx »

What sort of weight/space limits do you have? What sort of aircraft is it going in?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Since you're going to need another hole for the rx antenna why don't you just use duplexers on each repeater? Or you're going to have a mag mount inside the plane for RX??? Sounds you could use a combliner.....there I said it
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

mr.syntrx wrote:What sort of weight/space limits do you have? What sort of aircraft is it going in?
Still to be determined but i have been told 2 x 10 ru rack cases would fit in with a weight limit of around 90 kgs total as it is a 2 seater with cargo bay

The deal breaker is only having 1 antenna for tx & rx and the 2 bases
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

I have seen multiple repeaters with a combiner and the multicoupler run through a duplexer to get it down to 1 antenna. This add slightly more loss and an additional area of failure. However, I think you could get away with mobile duplexers (small,light,cheap,not great performance) vs. a high performance 6+ cavity duplexer. Just for clarification, you are putting in 2 repeaters correct? You refer to "bases," but it sounds like you are making reference to repeater activity. FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

FatBoy wrote:I have seen multiple repeaters with a combiner and the multicoupler run through a duplexer to get it down to 1 antenna. This add slightly more loss and an additional area of failure. However, I think you could get away with mobile duplexers (small,light,cheap,not great performance) vs. a high performance 6+ cavity duplexer. Just for clarification, you are putting in 2 repeaters correct? You refer to "bases," but it sounds like you are making reference to repeater activity. FB
Hi FatBoy

Yes that is correct, it would be my intention to have 2 repeaters in Capacity Plus Trunk configuration to give me 4 channel trunk capabilities

The deal breaker is that we have only 1 antenna hole on the aircraft so therefore I need both repeaters to tx & rx through 1 antenna

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”