xts2500 programming

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioeng462
No Longer Registered

xts2500 programming

Post by radioeng462 »

I am thinking of programming up an XTS2500 to our local P25 9600 baud 800MHz system for better quality monitoring. I am not sure of the process of programming the radio with the CPS. I was able to find some radio id's using PRO96 Com and just plan on using one of those. I heard that should work with no issues as long as I don't transmit. I am tired of the poor reception that my scanner gives me when trying to monitor the system. Any help would be great!!

Thanks
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: xts2500 programming

Post by Wowbagger »

This is a really bad idea. A real trunking radio will try to affiliate - that's in its nature. And if it tries to affiliate, it will either a) get stunned or killed or b) prevent an authorized user from accessing the system.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

We have had (by mistake/programming errors) 2 radios with the same ID on a P25 trunked system. This caused an issue when 1 of the radios affiliated (and/or registered, I don't recall) through one site, and then at almost the same time, the other radio affiliated (and/or registered) at a distant site (150 miles apart). It caused the first radio to no longer be able to affiliate. I forget all of the particulars, such as whether 1 or both of the radios actually transmitted, or just registered and/or affiliated. But, running 2 radios with the same ID on a P25 system will eventually screw up the legit radio, and will get the Zone Mgr looking closely at what the heck is going on. Don't do this. Use a scanner.
radioeng462
No Longer Registered

Post by radioeng462 »

Thanks for the advice. I will just stay with a scanner, don't want to cause any issues on the system.
radioeng462
No Longer Registered

Post by radioeng462 »

Well I gave it a shot and when I turned on the radio, the red light blinked twice, then the radio shut off. I tried powering it up again and noting happens, no display and just a quick flash of the top led. I have not tried to read it in case the radio is broken. Any suggestions??
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

radioeng462 wrote:Well I gave it a shot and when I turned on the radio, the red light blinked twice, then the radio shut off. I tried powering it up again and noting happens, no display and just a quick flash of the top led. I have not tried to read it in case the radio is broken. Any suggestions??
Guess you shouldnt have given it a shot... Your radio has been Inhibited.. You have a door stop.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I'll buy your door stop for parts.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

spectragod wrote:I'll buy your door stop for parts.
you'll be doing him a favor too, keep someone out of jail.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Simply amazing...it's not like you weren't warned. I sting the guys locally around here when someone does something stupid and they just don't understand why I do it.
Genesis is a wonderful product to track illegal affiliations.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Perhaps this thread should be locked and then made into a sticky as an example for all to see what happens when good advice is ignored and the system administrator kills your radio as a result of an unauthorized affiliation attempt.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

From a system administrator point of view....

Nothing more pleasing than seeing the ID of a radio that was "lost" or "stolen" get the inhibit hammer after being in passive inhibit for months. Somebody thought it has been long enough to forget about it I guess. Radio might be gone now but at least some jackass isn't keying up and screwing around on any system or talkaround for that matter.

Possibly get away with it on a Smartnet system but for sure not on a new system.

How'd you get a system key (9600 requires ASK right?) and then resort to pulling a rogue ID from your butt anyway?
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

MSS-Dave wrote:From a system administrator point of view....

Nothing more pleasing than seeing the ID of a radio that was "lost" or "stolen" get the inhibit hammer after being in passive inhibit for months. Somebody thought it has been long enough to forget about it I guess. Radio might be gone now but at least some jackass isn't keying up and screwing around on any system or talkaround for that matter.

Possibly get away with it on a Smartnet system but for sure not on a new system.

How'd you get a system key (9600 requires ASK right?) and then resort to pulling a rogue ID from your butt anyway?
9600 doesn't require an ASK, usual suspects.
ID's can be harvested in a myriad of ways, scanners, etc.

Kenwood P25 radios, OTOH, are incapable of being programmed on a 9600 system without both a system key and a network profile, which Kenwood only provides to the correct owner- and the KPG serial number has to be validated for the system. So even if one obtains the system key and network profile and has their own copy of KPG, it still won't work as it will fail validation of the programming software serial no/system key and network profile combination.

Kenwood learned from Motorola's mistakes. you'll never see a bootleg Kenwood P25 or NXDN radio show up on a system.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Perhaps this thread should be locked and then made into a sticky as an example for all to see what happens when good advice is ignored and the system administrator kills your radio as a result of an unauthorized affiliation attempt.
And cross posted to Radio Reference as well. Some of those guys are simply out of control.
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

MSS-Dave wrote:From a system administrator point of view....

Absolutely!!
radioeng462
No Longer Registered

Post by radioeng462 »

Well I learned my lesson so please be nice. I am going to beg them to un-inhibit my radio as I paid over $1,000 for my radio. They should not do that to people's radios since I am a tax payer and paid for the radio system.

[QMod note: You're out of your mind with that line of thought. That's the mindset that got you in this situation in the first place. -d119]
mike m

Post by mike m »

i almost want to request that my past post on how to set up a radio now be deleted because of crap like this but I know t won't do any good as it's already been saved and cross posted to other web pages.

I have found that for me simply programming voice channels and scanning in conventional mode with talkgroups enabled is just fine, again I'm sorry I ever posted the info on how to do this a few years back.

Mike
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

radioeng462 wrote:Well I learned my lesson so please be nice. I am going to beg them to un-inhibit my radio as I paid over $1,000 for my radio. They should not do that to people's radios since I am a tax payer and paid for the radio system.
You may want to reconsider asking them to uninhibit your radio. You've committed unauthorized access of a computer system, a felony in most states. And violated more than one section of the FCC's rules. Maybe chalk this up as a lesson learned.
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

You would think of a board name like he has (radioeng) that I would equate to being short for radio engineer, he would of been aware of the consequences prior to loading in the system key.

Oh and just to add, being that I can still edit my post, I caught another illegal affiliation late this week as I was cleaning up my database preparing for my Smart-X and new switch installation. I'm sure I will hear about it over the next few weeks.....from someone, somewhere..lol
Last edited by N4DES on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

escomm wrote:
radioeng462 wrote:Well I learned my lesson so please be nice. I am going to beg them to un-inhibit my radio as I paid over $1,000 for my radio. They should not do that to people's radios since I am a tax payer and paid for the radio system.
You may want to reconsider asking them to uninhibit your radio. You've committed unauthorized access of a computer system, a felony in most states. And violated more than one section of the FCC's rules. Maybe chalk this up as a lesson learned.
I think if you go and ask, you will be out way more than $1000 that your into the radio for. There are 2 radio tech's and a fire chief in Michigan sitting in prison for shenanigans like this. My offer still stands to buy your door stop. Which will most likely will be out of play when your radio gets confiscated. Just sayin'.............

I might add, that being a taxpayer means $hit since you hacked onto someone's trunk system, good luck, I can't wait for the end of this saga.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by FireCpt809 »

That's $1000 down the drain.. Maybe you can sell it on ebay as " Unable to test" " working when removed from service for system upgrade" There is an XTS5000 on there that self tests then goes blank... Suprise its an U split radio..
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

radioeng462 wrote:Well I learned my lesson so please be nice. I am going to beg them to return my crack as I paid over $1,000 for my crack. They should not confiscate other people's crack since I am a tax payer and pay the DEA's salary.
Perhaps that little edit might allow you to understand the flaw in your reasoning.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

[QMod note: You're out of your mind with that line of thought. That's the mindset that got you in this situation in the first place. -d119]
So because the courthouse is paid for with taxpayer dollars means I can go camp out, or take a $hit in the judge's chamber's right?

Ridiculous, absurd and outrageous.

Not sure what state you are in, but in if you're in Georgia, you would have just admitted on a public forum to what amounts to computer network tresspass, a felony upon conviction of which, you can go to prison for 5-20 years.
So you would go before a judge in criminal court and plead that you are a "taxpayer and have right to bootleg on this radio system because I paid for it". This has to be the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

Tell you what, I'll trade you a Baogfeng UV-3R for your brick....nevermind, scratch that- it has a transmitter. you will wind up programming it on someone's public safety repeater and "demand" the right to use it and then I'll be a party to a crime.
Squad5
was mwb9122

Post by Squad5 »

I love stupidity
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

The OP has been a member here for two years. You would have thought he would have read SOMETHING in those two years that might have pointed him in favor of nixing that idea.

Less than a month. A new record.

Somebody should buy this guy a trunktracker in trade.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Apparently he doesnt even take his own advise...."It is best to use a scanner to monitor and not mess with a Moto radio. As everyone has said you can easily cause harmful interference to a legit user. Just be safe!!"

From this thread from earlier this year...http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=100511

It looks like its not his first time either..."I have tried to even find the option in CPS for radio inhibit. I have a HT1250 LS+ that is authorized on a LTR system with no MDC ID set. Does anyone know where the inhibit check box is located in CPS?"

From this thread..

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102512

Some people think a little knowlege and some Motorola software make them instant radio techs.... Righttttt.....

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”