6 Tone Sequential Paging

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

IRS_BDN_MB

6 Tone Sequential Paging

Post by IRS_BDN_MB »

I need to test an alarm decoder the uses the 5/6 sequential paging format. I am very familiar with Motorola's two tone paging format but I have never encountered 5/6 tone format before. I know the tone & frequencies that I need to generate but I can't find any literature about tone duration, breaks or the alarm tone. The code I need to enter has 6 digits followed by the alarm digit (2247Hz). I believe 5 tone sequential paging is 200ms for all tones combined. If there are no breaks then one can assume each tone is 40ms long. Does that also mean a 6 tone sequential page is 240ms long? What about the 7th digit, the alarm tone, is there a brake first and is it also 40ms long? My service monitor will allow me to enter 5 or 6 digits to do a 5 or 6 tone sequential page but it won't allow me to enter a 7th digit. Plus it won't allow me to enter the alarm tone (2247Hz), repeat tone (2110Hz) or group tone (1055Hz). I can however generate a "tone sequence" on several of my service monitors. To do this I need the exact duration of each and every tone plus the duration of each and every break so I can enter the sequence properly.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

~Andy~
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: 6 Tone Sequential Paging

Post by Wowbagger »

This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
IRS_BDN_MB

Post by IRS_BDN_MB »

Thanks Wowbagger, that link is very helpful. I never knew there were so many paging formats! The exact format I need to emulate is called STSS. Unfortunately it is not listed in the chart. I do know that STSS is based on the EEA standard so 40ms duration for each tone was correct. I can also tell from the chart that there are no breaks during encoding. STSS uses 7 tones instead of 5 therefore I can also assume that the max duration is 280ms.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Your description sounds like they are doing EEA + 2-tone signaling, so you might think along those lines.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”