Vertex VXR1000U and Astro Spectra/XTL5K High Power Remote

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Vertex VXR1000U and Astro Spectra/XTL5K High Power Remote

Post by WCHija »

Has anyone successfully connected a VXR to an Astro Spectra high power remote mount or XTL5000 high power remote mount? If so would you please tell me how you connected it. This has our radio shop stumped, and of course Vertex is no help.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
WCHija

Re: Vertex VXR1000U and Astro Spectra/XTL5K High Power Remot

Post by WCHija »

Really, no one has done this?
Semper Fidelis

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Most have probably used Pyramids. I don't see why it would be all that hard. I assume this is cross band? In band would need some filtering. As an aside, I swept an 800MHz BPF from Pyramid and it didn't start dropping off til about 10MHz below the center freq. Makes me wonder why anyone would use a BPF at 800MHz but that's a conversation for another day.

Seems to me you need to take the RX audio from one and send it to the TX audio of the other. And vice versa. Then use the COR from the XTL and route it to the VXR and use it for your PTT. Then use the COR from the VXR and route it to the XTL and use it as your PTT. Basically a RICK without a RICK.

What are the issues the shop is running in to? Should be pretty straightforward.
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

They cant find an external PTT for the vertex to use to key the radio. They believe that the high power Astro Spectra/XTLs dont have a pin for that on the back of the RF deck.
Semper Fidelis

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I just noticed you're running high power radios... so no 26 pin connector on the rear of the radio with on air detect readily available. Hope your shop is up for some minor surgery. Instructions to get COR onto the DB25 on the TIB follow: http://www.pyramidcomm.com/storage/appl ... /AN256.pdf

If the control head is an O5, you might be able to pull COR from pin 13 of the 26 pin connector. Not sure if the control head will have this functionality or not.
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Thank you
Semper Fidelis

Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

I thought those wired into the Acc Connector on the back of the 05 Control head?????
Will

Post by Will »

Mikey wrote:I thought those wired into the Acc Connector on the back of the 05 Control head?????
No they go to the radio.

We have used a pair of resistors on the speaker lines as COR (ancient term). Senses the DC on the speaker lines.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”