Power supply for Spectra as a Base station

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Power supply for Spectra as a Base station

Post by MT2000 man »

Good day all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a power supply for my 110 Watt UHF remote mount Spectra. I just removed it from my vehicle ( being replaced with an XTL5000 ) and I plan on using the Spectra as a base station for local GMRS repeaters on my desk at home. Any good power supply ( and while I'm at it, any good external antenna recommendations as well ? ) recommendations ?

I want to put this thing to use and not have it sitting around collecting dust :)

Thanks !

Mike
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Power supply for Spectra as a Base station

Post by RadioSouth »

If you're gonna run rated power you'll need about a 30 Amp supply. Astron makes some good one's.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Astron.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Astron RS-35 or 35M (only difference is the 35M has meters). AVOID switching power supplies.
I've had the same two Astro power supplies for 20 years. they never get turned off. They are as dependable as they come. They are not the cheapest, but they are the best. Made in USA too.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

MTS2000des wrote:AVOID switching power supplies.
Why? Most of the supplies Moto sells are switchers. I've got several Astron switchers and have had zero problems with them.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

tvsjr wrote:
Why? Most of the supplies Moto sells are switchers. I've got several Astron switchers and have had zero problems with them.
That is a Hams old wifes tail and most Hams can not get with the future which concerning power supplies is with switching supplies
and are state of the art these days. Try looking at the IOTA Engineering DLS series and are among the most outstanding supplies
made today and are just about bullet proof electronicly. I have one at a site that receives so many power hits each year and it
handles them with no problem and keep working flawlessly. Been working 24x7 365 since 2002.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

It's not like the old transformer and series reg style never broke.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

fineshot1 wrote:
tvsjr wrote:
That is a Hams old wifes tail and most Hams can not get with the future which concerning power supplies is with switching supplies
and are state of the art these days. Try looking at the IOTA Engineering DLS series and are among the most outstanding supplies
made today and are just about bullet proof electronicly. I have one at a site that receives so many power hits each year and it
handles them with no problem and keep working flawlessly. Been working 24x7 365 since 2002.
+1 for Iota Engineering. My radio rack at the house runs off a DLS-45. Quiet, efficient, and you can float a battery bank with them. I've used it to power 110W Spectras for alignment (read: long keying cycles) and can positively verify that it's up to the task.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Thanks for the help guys !

Look like I'll be picking myself up an Astron RS-35 !
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

Not even a glitch with one of the Astron SS-30M switching I've forgot how long I've had it. Besides, its only weighs 5 pounds if that, cant complain about that. But still gives the old crabs something to complain about, most of them refusing to operating appliances any newer than 25+ yrs ago
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Consumer power supplies by law in California are required to be switched mode

Just sayin'
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

escomm wrote:Consumer power supplies by law in California are required to be switched mode

Just sayin'
I don't think commercial land mobile radios qualify as a CONSUMER product or do they? You have crazy laws in that state.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Motorola says people have to buy SMPS in accordance with California law. No need to waste that expensive solar & wind energy to vampires, emiryt?

Dealers were still ordering the standard power supplies and not paying the $5 premium, so Motorola canceled out most of the regular PS and replaced them with SMPS, A few stragglers still exist.

SMPS are superior in the sense that they accept quite a wide range of input voltages. Hence the 90-240VAC inputs for many Motorola PS nowadays. For what it's worth the XTS Impres chargers have had a SMPS integrated since day one.
MTS2000des

Post by MTS2000des »

glad I live in Georgia
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

MTS2000des wrote:
escomm wrote:Consumer power supplies by law in California are required to be switched mode

Just sayin'
You have crazy laws in that state.
Very well said and I could not agree more :)
fineshot1
NJ USA
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

MTS2000des wrote:glad I live in Georgia
Except when it snows...
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Those 100 watt Spectra's can draw 30 amps. The Astron RS35M is rated at 25 amps continuous. While it's fine to use one with 100 watt HF rig which can draw 20 amps on peaks in SSB, I would get the Astron 50 amp model for that 100 watt Spectra. It is well known that if Astron had spent an extra $2 per unit they could have used higher rated caps, & transistors, allowing a higher continuous output. So whenever I need to buy a heavy Astron PS, I go 1 step higher than I would think I needed. By the way, I have a few SS 30's that have been on 24/7 for the last 10 years. The only thing I had to do was install a 100 ohm resistor to slow down the cooling fan to lower the noise. GARY
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have used ICT switching power supplies for 15+ years and they have proven to be extremely reliable.

http://www.ict-power.com/

Another way to do it for a high power application is to use a large (100 AH) Gel/AGM battery and a proper battery charger. You probably only need a 10-amp charger as the battery will supply the surge current on TX and the charger will provide recovery on RX.

We use the TrueCharge2 series
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/b ... rge-2.aspx
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/b ... e-2-2.aspx

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”