CommandPlus Questions

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wb4bli

CommandPlus Questions

Post by wb4bli »

I was given a 12 channel Motorola CommandPlus. I have tried to hit the different alert tones with no luck. Right now it is only sending the 1004hz long tone. I hit the Lock button and held it in then pressing 1-4 with no luck. What would it take it get me some software for it? It appear some things are disabled. Any one have any ideas.
d119

Re: CommandPlus Questions

Post by d119 »

As far as I know, CommandPLUS only supports one alert tone at a time. It isn't really a true "dispatch console", it's more of a glorified tone or DC remote.

There is software that programs the remote along with a DB15 to DB9 connector used to program the unit via serial port. No RIB box is required.

RVN4112E is the part number for the programming software, version R03.07.00.
6880309E42 is the part number for the programming software manual.
RPX4719G is the part number for the programming cable.

It should be noted that these remotes were OEM'ed by GAI-Tronics and are essentially a Motorola-branded version of the GAI-Tronics ICP-9000.

They do not support MDC encode/decode without additional hardware. Additional hardware is also required to interface a telephone line to the remote. There is no provision for a channel marker feature. Single alert tone (programmable via RSS to be the equivalent of Centracom Alert1, Alert2 or Alert3.

Other than that, they support MultiSelect memories, channel patch, select/unselect audio, headset interfaces, tone OR DC keying (additional hardware required for DC keying). They may offer local control as well, but I don't really recall.

Todays equivalent of the CommandPLUS is the CommandStar Lite B&L console. It is more of a true "dispatch console" than the CommandPLUS, but not nearly as durable. CML is the OEM for CommandStar Lite.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

What is the difference between GAI-Tronics and the Motorola version? See when I read the Gai-Tronics manual it said press LOCK+1,+2,+3,+4 Then it would select any of the other Alert Tones. It does let me change some of the paging options but most of it is disabled by the previous owner. I just dont want to waste any money on the software if I am not 100% sure i can make all this do what i want it to.
d119

Post by d119 »

There are undoubtedly feature differences between the Motorola and GAI-Tronics versions. I don't recall ever having read or heard about using the LOCK button to change alert tones.

Did you give up on your Centracom setup?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

The icp9000 is the same hardware, but it has a different firmware chip in it. There very well may be new features of the icp9000 that will not work for the command plus. I believe Gai-tronics has a upgrade available on there web site to convert it to a icp9000.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

Yes, I gave up on the Centracom II+. It was too big to keep and I have had to move a couple of times. I still want to have a small console to mess with. I like the comandplus in that it lets me handle 12 radios. I am going to give GAI-Tronics a call after I pull the version number off of this thing. I just cant afford putting too much money into these things if they are going to be so expensive to mess with. I am also looking for an alternative to the 66 block. I hooked this thing up to it and it works but I am tired of punching thse connections. I am hoping to find something that already has some RJ11 jacks on it so it will be more plug and play. I loved the Centracom but just to heavy to move. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Maybe i can locate the software somewhere to see what i can and cant change before i purchase it. Disability is not my best friend when it comes to the radio hobby.
d119

Post by d119 »

You could break the 25pair cables out to whatever you want. There are also "harmonicas" that break them out into RJ45 connectors, but you'll still have to do custom wiring to make them work.

Sorry to hear the CC II+ didn't work out for you. IIRC, you had the large OP's with the furniture and everything, and a full-cabinet CEB.

The "Dispatcher" and "Compact" CC II+ is much easier to manage.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I like working with the consoles but as far as doing one at home it will have to be more compact. I do like the way this commandplus works if I have to uprgrade it or what not it might not be so bad. I am going to a telephone supply store here in town to see what they can do for my 66 block issue. It is hadr for me to see the pairs off the 25 pair cable. I would love to have one that was computer controlled but not going to put the money out for something to expensive. My hobby is consoles vs doing HF or what not. Kinda like restoring an old car.
d119

Post by d119 »

Well even the PC-based dispatch consoles still have back end equipment that use the 25-pair connections. I think MCC 7500 is about the only one that doesn't (CCGW's use routers with analog modules that terminate in RJ45 connectors). But you won't find any MCC 7500 systems on the used market for quite some time.

And while we're on that subject - for you folks who don't know, MCC 7500 isn't ANYTHING like Centracom used to be, aside from the user interface.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

I can deal with this cable problem but I just need QCII or Plectron paging and the 3 normal alert tones. That is pretty much it. I enjoy this commandplus but just need to get all of its features figured out. I was working off of the Gai-Tronics manual and as you say must be more differences. I will call them Monday and see what they trell me and report back. What about VOIP control for some of my radios? Any cheap suggestions.
d119

Post by d119 »

For VoIP control, I suggest the Raytheon/JPS NXU-2 units. There was a gent that had a pair for sale here on the board, but, er, uh... I bought 'em.
wb4bli

Post by wb4bli »

haha... LOL. Oh well. I will check to see if I can get something like that down the road. What exactly is your setup? Do you use any IMs?
d119

Post by d119 »

I don't really have a setup at the moment. At work I have a 2-position Centracom Series II+ with 1 compact OP and 1 CRT OP. It has 2 4Freq resources on it, 3 receivers on 2 DR cards, some single-frequency resources and a repeater. All tone-keying. The repeater has a COR interface that comes back to the console so that it can be patched into other resources with proper keying and no VOX issues.

It's mainly used for testing certain system configurations before implementing them in the field since the hardware between Series II+ and Gold Elite isn't THAT different. Otherwise it's just for listening to the local PD, the County alert system, and stuff like that.

I've played with the NXU boxes I bought a little bit, but haven't implemented them full-time yet. That's in the works.

I've got some CommandPLUS consoles kicking around the shop somewhere... They were pullouts when the customer opted to expand their Centracom Gold Elite. I never did anything with them.
W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

Post by W1HVN »

Im reviving this post. Im trying to get a CommandPlus programmed with the RSS. In the process of contacting MSSs to see if anyone has the older RSS. The older firmware 3.x models wont program with current CPS Cardsuite programming, as this only works with firmware 4.x and higher units.

Does anyone have capability to program this console?

Upgrade quote from GAI is 1200$ and up and requires hardware upgrade potentially as well.

Any info appreciated.

Moto has advised me this product number For RSS is obsolete and no longer available for sale.
unitedems
New User

Post by unitedems »

Does any one know where to get the RSS for these consoles. I believe its motorola RVN4112E, I have spend out to 2 months searching High and low. Aside from a few scattered comments on random forums such as this one I can not find this rss anywhere. Motorola is useless.

I have reached out to GIA, its 800 bucks a console to flash it up to an ICP9000. I have the Card Suite Program but again it requires a flash to an ICP9000 to use Card Suite.

I am with a small Ambulance Serivce in Indiana. We recently had flood and re-located our dispatch room, after doing so, both consoles some how reverted to defaults. I Desperately need to find the programming software. It is DOS based on a 3.5 floppy, I found our copy of the RSS but it was in the part of the building that go wet.

If any one can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”