Repeater Linking

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BigTex1136
What radios do you own?: XTS APX VIKING KENWOOD

Repeater Linking

Post by BigTex1136 »

Hi guys and Happy New Year!!!

So I am looking to link two repeaters. I know there are many ways of doing this but here is how I want to link and not sure what is needed to make this work.

Repeater 1 has its own freq. TX 155.100 and RX 158.100

I want repeater 2 to hear rpt 1 and at the same time TX on another freq. we will say 154.100 and when rpt 2 RX I want it to send to Rpt 1.

I have good line of site and want to use a VHF Yaggi antenna at rpt 2. I want me link radio to be VHF and programed to RPT 1 but connected to rpt 2.

Thanks for the help
GOT MODAT?
Jim202

Re: Repeater Linking

Post by Jim202 »

BigTex1136 wrote:Hi guys and Happy New Year!!!

So I am looking to link two repeaters. I know there are many ways of doing this but here is how I want to link and not sure what is needed to make this work.

Repeater 1 has its own freq. TX 155.100 and RX 158.100

I want repeater 2 to hear rpt 1 and at the same time TX on another freq. we will say 154.100 and when rpt 2 RX I want it to send to Rpt 1.

I have good line of site and want to use a VHF Yaggi antenna at rpt 2. I want me link radio to be VHF and programed to RPT 1 but connected to rpt 2.

Thanks for the help

Think carefully about what your trying to do. If you do it wrong, you will lock up both repeaters until you un-cable the links between the radios.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Jim's right. You could make a fubar generator that you would only have to key once. And it would sound really neato over the air. But, on the plus side, you'd never have to use PTT again. Huge time saver. (big grin)

So, you got rptr 1 over here with freqs T1 and R1, plus a second rcvr on T2. And you got rptr 2 over there with freqs T2 and R2, plus a second rcvr on T1.

You key up your portable on R1. It gets repeated out on T1. Site 2 hears T1, and keys up T2 which is heard at site 1. You dekey your portable, but the repeater doesn't drop out because both repeaters are keying each other now. And since they have good line of sight with yagi's aimed at each other, they are *only* going to hear each other. It becomes a story of eternal love after that. And depending on your heatsink, it could be a Romeo and Juliet, til death do we part, forever and ever, amen. Truly inspiring.

Plus, it will sound really cool. Did I mention that part already? Yeah. It's the best part actually. You know, people pay to have their stereos sound like this. It has a sort of hollow sound with a deep bass resonance. It goes something like RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN .... I can't think of anyone who would listen to it for ten, twenty, maybe thirty milliseconds before turning it off. It goes right to your primal core, and then your sense of self preservation kicks in immediately. It is that powerful. The sweat on your brow and your overall ashen look will be noticed by everyone. If you're married, your loved one will be vacillating between calling a doctor or a coroner. It's a life changing event.

If you are going to take up this endeavor, you need to make some kind of first-come-first-serve lock-out logic that only allows one direction at a time. And you'll probably want to turn your squelch tails down to zero so responses between sites are snappier. Or better yet, use a simplex radio on a completely different freq to link the sites.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Bill_G wrote:You key up your portable on R1. It gets repeated out on T1. Site 2 hears T1, and keys up T2 which is heard at site 1. You dekey your portable, but the repeater doesn't drop out because both repeaters are keying each other now. And since they have good line of sight with yagi's aimed at each other, they are *only* going to hear each other. It becomes a story of eternal love after that. And depending on your heatsink, it could be a Romeo and Juliet, til death do we part, forever and ever, amen. Truly inspiring.
This happened at my place of employment once. A neighboring agency links their regional trunk talkgroups to our UHF stuff via console patches on their end. One night around 3:30 AM someone wiped out all of the hard patches and tried to rebuild them but ended up linking both of their UHF control stations together, both parked on our primary channel. It made a pretty effective reverse repeater. What was even better was when it started squealing feedback it falsed our master tone long enough to wake up the entire department. That was a fun day.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Console repeater cross patches present their own sort of fun especially when squelch tails cause them to ping pong endlessly. You can really tell who has blood pressure issues afterwards.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”