CDM Series, Windows 7, Radio doesn't re-boot after write.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

psapengineer

CDM Series, Windows 7, Radio doesn't re-boot after write.

Post by psapengineer »

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

I have Waris software R06.12.08 and the older R06.11.10 on my newer Windows 7 laptop.

I can read radios just fine.

When I write any CDM radio made before or after narrowbanding, with either version software, the radio beeps (like its done), the display blanks, it doesn't re-boot, and you can hear a low beep about once every 3 seconds in the speaker.

(scary, it was looking like a brick for a moment)

If you yank out the programming cable, close the software, and read the radio again, you find that the changes were programmed in, and the radio then displays and works normally.

Any thoughts ?
Wiregeek

Re: CDM Series, Windows 7, Radio doesn't re-boot after write.

Post by Wiregeek »

Once it's rebooted the first time (you've heard the low beep), unplug the programming cable and she should boot alright. HTs show similar behavior when programmed using a SmartRIB. Scared the yellow water out of me the first time it happened. After the thirteen thousandth one, I don't even notice.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

Thank you for posting, makes me feel better knowing that also.
I have some CDM1250 and 1550's and stopped hearing that second beep.
That first time is scary if you are waiting for the second beep and reboot.

It also made me dust off an older computer running XP and make it a dedicated radio programmer for Motorola radios now as well.
mjmason
New User
What radios do you own?: Moto, Yaesu, Icom, Kantronics

Windows 7 in a VM ok? (was Re: CDM Series, Windows 7, Radio doesn't re-boot after write.)

Post by mjmason »

Advance warning that I'm a newb, and still very much in learning mode. I have the opportunity to acquire a couple of CDM1250s (one UHF, one VHF) and am trying to piece together what the process of programming one will look like.

I'm a little concerned by comments that CPS and the required cables seem to work best in XP. Glad to see from this thread that it's possible to use Windows 7...but "does the radio care" if Windows is running natively vs. in a virtual machine (e.g., in Parallels, on a Mac)?

Thanks - Matt, N2ZQO
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Have a look in the CPS 'readme' file...I'm almost sure it mentions this issue with Windows 7...either that or it was an FSB years back...
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”