APX No Audio when scan off

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kbradley06
New User

APX No Audio when scan off

Post by kbradley06 »

Hello,

I have just purchased 13 APX4500's. I have gotten them all programmed but after deploying them to the users, they have reported that when scan feature is turned off they get no audio from the selected channel. The orange receive light is on as if getting signal but nothing is heard. As soon as scan is back on the sound comes through on the same channel. Has anyone seen this before? How do I get the radio to work without scan being on?

Also, I have been asked about a "last channel tone." This was apparently a feature of the HT1000, where the last channel talked on would beep if you turned your radio to that channel. This helps with not having to guess or be told what channel the last calling unit was on. Just turn the knob and it beeps when you get there. Does anyone know if this exists for APX? And if so what it would be called in CPS?

Thanks in advance for your help!
wavetar
Administrator

Re: APX No Audio when scan off

Post by wavetar »

Hard to say without seeing the codeplug, and you don't mention analog or digital operation. But typically scan ignores any type of signalling and concentrates on the carrier. Sounds like you have an RX signalling system set up (MDC, perhaps?), set for "AND" operation, causing the radio to require more than just carrier & PL/DPL to unmute.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kbradley06
New User

Post by kbradley06 »

You are correct, I am using MDC. However it seems to not work over our repeater system. Our dispatch center is the only one that can see the unit ID. That's a whole new can of worms though. We are fully analog. I have taken some screenshots of my channel config. I appreciate your help. I am not a radio programmer and this is driving me crazy.

Whats weirdest to me is that it works while scanning but when the scan is off no dice.

Thanks!

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Thanks for the pictures. At first glance, all appears ok, but I think I see the problem, and I can see why it's confusing to you. Even though you've chosen "or" as the Selective Call unmute type, the radio will remain muted to regular traffic. It's essentially a "private call" feature.

As a test, try setting the Selective Call to "disabled" and see what happens. I'll bet you can then receive. Keep your Call Alert settings, and you'll still be able to "page" or "alert" the radio in needed, if that's your desire.

As far as your dispatch receiving the MDC and field units do not, it's likely the dispatch console is connected to the repeater via wireline, and is receiving the MDC via that route, correct? The repeater may not be reacting quickly enough to repeat the MDC properly over the air. So, in your MDC system settings in the APX (called HPD in your codeplug) try setting the Repeater Access Pretime to something greater than the 200ms default...go up in 50ms increments until it works for you.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

kbradley06
New User

Post by kbradley06 »

Yep that did it. Thank you so much!

Now just to get the admin to buy digital...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Happy to help, glad you got it working. Out of curiosity, did you try the delay settings for MDC yet as well?

kbradley06
New User

Post by kbradley06 »

wavetar wrote:Happy to help, glad you got it working. Out of curiosity, did you try the delay settings for MDC yet as well?
I upped it as far as 300. You can definately hear the radio key up on the repeater before the mdc is transmitted. Nothing is making it back to my other radios though.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”