Ribless cable for P1225 question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

berkinet

Ribless cable for P1225 question

Post by berkinet »

I have a USB "Ribless" cable* (USB to RJ45) that I use with a GR1225 repeater. I have now acquired a couple of P1225s and would like to use the same cable with them. The issue I have is in connecting the cable to the P1225. At first, I had hoped I could just add an RJ45 jack to the desktop charger and tie directly into the Data+ and Data- contacts in the charger base. Alas, there are only three connector in the base.

Next idea is to just use alligator clips to connect to the radiomen from the rear of the radio, I am guessing the center contact is Data+ and the right contact V- (Ground) is also Data-. Is that right? Then, if that is correct, how do I power the radio while programming? I have seen photos showing a 9V battery across V+ and V-. Will that work?

This brings up a related question. I have seen several programming adapters (all serial, no USB) with battery like adapters that connect tp the HT in place of the battery. Does someone here know how these devices power the radio?

And, the last question. I would prefer a drop in stand like I first hoped for. Has anyone here tried to add a contact to the standard (HTN9702A) charger? If so, what changes did you make on the circuit board? Or, is there, perhaps, some other model charger with 4 contacts that would fit the P1225?

A lot of questions, but I'll be grateful for any help.

Richard

*Essentially a usb cable with a ttl level convertor built-in
Satelite

Re: Ribless cable for P1225 question

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I have a ebay bought P1225 ribless programmer and its basicly a battery case with no cells in it with the ribless components inside with the cable to computer fitting on the end.
And this ribless battery programmer also has the black and red power leads to accept a power supply set at 7 volts dc or yes a 9 volt battery as I use will power the radio for programming.
The 9 volt dc battery will not key the radio up for transmit and wasn't designed to do so either so don't bother trying to be on the safe side.
The internal circuits built into the battery ribless programming case will handle the 9 volts dc direct input as 9 vdc so no further voltage drop is needed
per the battery ribless design.
Just make sure the 9 volt battery is fresh on chg and not low as if you get it read and change anything and during reprogramming the 9 v olt battery drops voltage due to being on the low egde of accetance for the p1225 radio and pukes so to speak youll be one very very unhappy radio user.
Also its been preached and preached so ill say it again too.
When you do read a p1225 or any radio for thyat matter DO SAVE AND ARCHIVE THAT READING OF THE CODE PLUG .
This way if you do have a ooops during reprogramming youll have what you need to recover and save that radio from becoming a brick.
Even if you don't know how to get the code plug back into a corrupted radio you can come back here and say I saved it but radios now corrupted and constant error tone youll get infoon how to save and fix the radio from a saved archived code plug.
SO DO READ AND SAVE A READDING OF THE P1225 FIRST BEFORE REPROGRAMMING.
Good Luck
Sateite
Satelite

Re: Ribless cable for P1225 question

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I have a ebay bought P1225 ribless programmer and its basicly a battery case with no cells in it with the ribless components inside with the cable to computer fitting on the end.
And this ribless battery programmer also has the black and red power leads to accept a power supply set at 7 volts dc or yes a 9 volt battery as I use to power the radio for programming.
The 9 volt dc battery will not key the radio up for transmit and wasn't designed to do so either so don't bother trying to be on the safe side.
The internal circuits built into the battery ribless programming case will handle the 9 volts dc direct input as 9 vdc so no further voltage drop is needed
per the battery ribless design.
Just make sure the 9 volt battery is fresh on chg and not low as if you get it read and change anything and during reprogramming the 9 volt battery drops voltage due to being on the low egde of accetance for the p1225 radio and pukes so to speak on reprogramming youll be one very very unhappy radio user.
Also its been preached and preached so ill say it again too.
When you do read a p1225 or any radio for that matter DO SAVE AND ARCHIVE THAT READING OF THE CODE PLUG .
This way if you do have an ooops during reprogramming youll have what you need to recover and save that radio from becoming a brick.
Even if you don't know how to get the code plug back into a corrupted radio you can come back here and say I saved it but radios now corrupted and constant error tone and youll get info on how to save and fix the radio from a saved archived code plug.
SO DO READ AND SAVE A READING OF THE P1225 FIRST BEFORE REPROGRAMMING.
Make it a habit for all radios you read and save those code plugs .
Youll be surprised at how many others will get into a situation and youll have a saved codeplug of the same model number that will get them up and running too.
Good Luck
Sateite

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”