Recommendations for small business radios Cp100?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hobbes

Recommendations for small business radios Cp100?

Post by hobbes »

A friend of mine called looking for recommendations on what radio to buy. He works at a small inner-city summer camp; Last summer they bought a bunch of TalkAbouts and hated them (as I could have predicted) mainly because the audio is unintelligable. They're looking for something better. My interests and experience is almost entirely in the high-end public safety side, don't really know much about the "commercial" lines of radios that /\/\ has come out with in the last few years. They certainly don't need astro sabers! Here are their requirements:

* Two channels
* Moderate range (about 1 sq mi area, urban, in and around small buildings -- 1-2 W UHF would be plenty I would think)
* Price limit is around $250 per unit (for 4 radios)
* Good RX/TX audio (commercial quality, not talkabout quality)
* PL/DPL capability
* Don't want to go through FCC frequency-licensing process -- would prefer to use itinerant channels or GMRS that requires minimal licensing/fees/paperwork. Do the old "color-dot" channels still exist? Licensing requirements for those?

Some radio choices that he's looked at so far are the CP100, XU1100, and Spirit GT/GT+. I'm thinking the CP100 looks pretty good out of that group, but have never tried one. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

How about the HT600? I have a rack of 6 units Id sell to them really cheap. HT600 UHF with new batteries (as well as a spare for each unit), antenna, and the 6 bank charger. Let me know.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

re:

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Ht600's are awesome for the job but......SP50's, p110's, gp300's/350 are another one to look at...these are available for like under 150.00Max ea. and are not built like an ht600, but are lighter and more "hand and belt friendly" especially for you counselors who :o and complain, and then you are more hated then Osama Bin Laden for buying "Huge" radios by your staff. No doubt Ht600 is a better radio, hell if I was a counselor there I'd be pissed we didn't buy Ht600's, but were not dealing with moto nuts, we are dealing with visually oriented consumers. To go from a talkabout one summer to a HT600 is a major difference(Hey you could get them MX350's or PT300's and really piss some people off...). Going from Talkabout to an Sp50+ wont be all that bad. Also charger/acessory compatability is another thing....p110/gp300/350 share same charger and they all have the same audio jacks (SP50 included) so you dont have to buy 2 of the same thing..anyways maybe I over analyzed it, but they could utilize these for many years so so it is good to go through all of the possible scenarios. Whatever you do...don't let him get Nextel....I've seen camps do it before....hell some of them don't even care about the monthly bill...but take time to explain how nextel really suckers you and how you don't need that kind of coverage....i'm sure some little punk counselors are telling and pressing him to get nextel because this is what so and so has. Let him know that nextel is a CONSUMER service/product (just like the old Talkabouts to give him memories) and that it is for wide area operation and not for fixed coverage...you know the whole spiel.
Good luck.....either way you cant really lose with the ht600 though.

Post by 601 »

How about Spirits or SP10's? Get a few VHF ones and put them on MURS frequencies, no FCC licence, no hassles!
MO_TRASHER

Post by MO_TRASHER »

KENWOOD!! They make a very inexpensive 2 ch VHF or UHF model.
Complete w/ charger, antenna and battery, starting at about $250.00
2 year warranty, metal frame....sweet radio. I'll see about the exact model number when I'm back at the shop.

Later, Bob
The 'Trasher
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
...If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
"Motorola hasn't built a radio so well that it can't be broken"
Check Out: http://www.lowerytech.net/forum
Join the fun!
Someday this'll be a REAL Site!.......
http://www.busrad.com
hobbes

Weight is definately a factor

Post by hobbes »

The last camp I worked at the staff complained that the SP50's were too heavy -- tends to pull down those shorts when you're not wearing a belt, ya know! HT600's would be too heavy. I think they'd rather buy new radios that come with a warrenty as well....

Post by 601 »

I've driven buses for a few camps... So far I've seen them using some type of Kenwood radio (comparable to about the size of a short P50), P10's, SP10's, and FRS radios.

Seems strange why they would choose to use UHF out in wide open areas, which 3 of the 4 i've seen have been using.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

If SP50's are too heavy the SP50+ is a lighter, more compact version but
to get a day out of the smaller battery you'll have to take them down to 2 watts which doesn't sound like a problem for your application. The previosly mentioned MV11,PC10 types are a few ounces lighter
than the SP50+ and although discontinued can still be found under $150.
If I were going with a 'non dot' frequency the SP50+ would be it, if not in a high density area and 'dot' radios would do the trick those MV11 types
are hard to beat in price, size, and weight.
hobbes

What about frequencies?

Post by hobbes »

What "color-dot" frequencies are available, and what are the licensing requirements?
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

I would tell you to avoid ANYTHING that isn't 12.5 KHz capable. There is no chance that you are going to get a license for 25 KHz today. And in a decade or so, the FCC will stop grand-fathering in 25 KHz.

That means 25 KHz radios [including SP50, and HT600] are OUT.

Some 12.5 KHz radios to look at would be:

- Motorola P1225
- Vertex Vx-210A
- Vertex Vx-180/Vx-160
- Icom IC-F11 [VHF] / IC-F21 [UHF] *

Might try licensing as iternerant. For UHF, you could use 464.500, 464.550, 469.500 or 469.550. It really isn't kosher for a business/org that operates in a fixed location to license as itenerant, so keep that in mind. Keep in mind that you do not need to "pay off" a frequncy coordinator as itenerant.... and that will mean at least $100 you don't have to spend. However, you WILL have to license up with the FCC.

* a certain radio dealer had the IC-F21 16F on sale new for $157.00 a few monthes ago, FYI.
Last edited by Jonathan KC8RYW on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
MO_TRASHER

Post by MO_TRASHER »

As I promised, here is a list of the model #'s and some prices.....
TK2100V1 VHF 1 chan 2 watt $227.00
TK2100V9 VHF 2 chan 2 watt $242.00
TK3100U1 UHF 1 chan 2 watt $250.00
TK3100U9 UHF 2 chan 2 watt $267.00

One note: these are not 12.5kHz B/W they are 25 kHz B/W
(not switchable)

Bob
The 'Trasher
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
Join the fun!

Post by 601 »

I've seen 25KHz spaced frequencies still being issued... Check the FCC database. I operate on a 25 KHz frequency and have seen new users licenced on "my" frequency. (BTW it's VHF highband) :o
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

If they're complaining about the weight of the SP50's, you should get em' Sabers with the Ultra High Cap. Battery lol
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

re:

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

you know its funny you mentioned the Protalk Tk-2100/3100...its a tough radio I know ive sold probably about 100+ in my day to schools and schools that have camps....even strip club's (cheetah III, Tootsie's cabaret) they have the 2 year warranty and there is even some pimp ass survaillence kits from Otto communications....I believe it uses the same as the Accy. plug as TK-360 or now TK-360G....I would have reccomended these too but I figured I'd get dogged by all the Moto peeps. Vertex VX-210U/V would be an awesome choice too....5 Watt power, visar size, 16 channels, and a three year warranty to boot! Moto CP250 is another unit that pretty much took the place of the sp50 price point. Get the kenwoods....and If you ask for the freetalk XL, you can get the same radio with 15 channels instead of 2 because its the 2 watt semi-consumer GMRS, and its programmble by the software so the GMRS channels are not permanently in there. The are 190 dealer cost + 30 for the battery and 15 for the slow charger....thats all I remember.
Crimestopper

My thoughts.....

Post by Crimestopper »

Here are just are a few opinions I have about the radios mentioned earlier, and some others ones as well. Since size is a big play along with total cost here are a few comparisons. All of these radios listed below will do both 12.5 or 25 channel spacing except for the CP100.

Motorola SP21 "Similar to the Spirit and SP10 Series" available in VHF and UHF
2 watts, 2 or 4 channels, also has 18-20 (38-40 total half N/B half W/B) programmable frequencies and 38 pl tones, no software needed. average price $155.00 each (NOS) Please note, the SP21 is discontinued. HOWEVER, the Latin version called the PRO1150 ($105.00 each) is still in production and has a two year warranty, with greater savings. Both the SP21 and the PRO1150 will do narrow band and wide band, and take the same batteries as the SP10, P10, P50, SP50+, so they are cheap and easy to get, along with belt clips, and antennas..this would be my choice if price was an issue and warranty was an issue.

Motorola CP100 are available in several flavors and pricing was mentioned above. A personal note, I believe these radios are vary similar to FRS radios and if they take are hard drop to the ground there is no chance of repair. In fact, you can't even replace the antennas on the CP100. I'm not a big fan of this radio.

Motorola CP150 and CP200, are available in several flavors from 2 to 4 watts, and 4 to 16 channels. Software, rib, and cable, needed for programming. Nice radio with pretty good audio and seems to be somewhat more durable then the aforementioned radios. Average ebay cost is $290-300...I would like to note that the CP150 and CP200 are relatively new to the market. Motorola in the past has had several model revision and upgrades on several different radios. I would wait 4-6 more months before purchasing, so they can work out any new kinks....Size is close to the CP100 but beats it hands down in functions and durability, and it also has a two year warranty.

If you want some more pricing or info on dealers that can help you out just send me a PM

Good luck
Steve
Crimestopper
MO_TRASHER

Re: My thoughts.....

Post by MO_TRASHER »

Crimestopper wrote:Here are just are a few opinions I have about the radios mentioned earlier, and some others ones as well. Since size is a big play along with total cost here are a few comparisons. All of these radios listed below will do both 12.5 or 25 channel spacing except for the CP100.

Motorola SP21 "Similar to the Spirit and SP10 Series" available in VHF and UHF
2 watts, 2 or 4 channels, also has 18-20 (38-40 total half N/B half W/B) programmable frequencies and 38 pl tones, no software needed. average price $155.00 each (NOS) Please note, the SP21 is discontinued. HOWEVER, the Latin version called the PRO1150 ($105.00 each) is still in production and has a two year warranty, with greater savings. Both the SP21 and the PRO1150 will do narrow band and wide band, and take the same batteries as the SP10, P10, P50, SP50+, so they are cheap and easy to get, along with belt clips, and antennas..this would be my choice if price was an issue and warranty was an issue.

Motorola CP100 are available in several flavors and pricing was mentioned above. A personal note, I believe these radios are vary similar to FRS radios and if they take are hard drop to the ground there is no chance of repair. In fact, you can't even replace the antennas on the CP100. I'm not a big fan of this radio.

Motorola CP150 and CP200, are available in several flavors from 2 to 4 watts, and 4 to 16 channels. Software, rib, and cable, needed for programming. Nice radio with pretty good audio and seems to be somewhat more durable then the aforementioned radios. Average ebay cost is $290-300...I would like to note that the CP150 and CP200 are relatively new to the market. Motorola in the past has had several model revision and upgrades on several different radios. I would wait 4-6 more months before purchasing, so they can work out any new kinks....Size is close to the CP100 but beats it hands down in functions and durability, and it also has a two year warranty.

If you want some more pricing or info on dealers that can help you out just send me a PM

Good luck
Steve
Crimestopper
I don't want to seem like I'm splitting hairs, but the SP-21 was discontinued a while back. I believe the CP-100 replaced it.
The 'Trasher
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
Join the fun!
thespoon
Batboard $upporter

Post by thespoon »

My local Wal Mart wanted more power in their radios. Since MURS are now limited to 2 watts, used to be 1 watt, the only option for more power is using a regular VHF radio such as a GP-300. I called FCC and they told me as long as you use MURS factory preset Dot Frequencies (such as 154.570, 154.600, ect....) you need no liscense as long as it is a MURS setup. If you go to a 5 watt radio, like the GP-300, then a license is required. Even if you use a supposedly license free frequency such as mentioned above. So unless you want to go through the exspense and hassle to get a liscense (and yes, it will be 12.5 split) then stick with the business band 2 watt radios.
Every living thing including roaches are running out the fire, we're running in the fire. It's hard to explain. Are roaches smarter than we are?
Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper »

Hello Mo Trasher.....

Since you qutoed me maybe you should read my post first. I stated that the SP21 was discontinued. Futhermore, they can still be found on Ebay and other dealers out there have them on the shelf, collecting dust. Most people will call it New Old Stock or NOS. Nevertheless, your not splitting hairs since I don't have any, but if you can read the earlier post, I did state the SP21 was Discountinued. Sorry, if the message was not clear, but I think anyone who read the earlier post understood that it was removed from production.

Be Well
Steve
Crimestopper
MO_TRASHER

Post by MO_TRASHER »

Hi Steve, my appologies are offered to you. I re-read your post, which does indeed say that the radio is no longer made. Guess that's what I get for skimming thru.
Again sorry.
Bob
The 'Trasher
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
Join the fun!
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

The little Spirit MV11/12 is a good radio. Not up to "usual" Motorola ruggedness, but for the price, they work just fine. My pair are 1w and they work as one would expect 1w to work.

They are limited to 9 high band dot and business channels. The new ones like I have are programmable and have programmable (no dip switches) PL too. Of the MURS freqs available, the 151s are 12.5KHz and the 154s are 25 KHz.

I say look into them. Small and light. I can see counsellors having valid complaints about heavy radios pulling gym short type pants down. The alternative is they will leave them laying around. Then what?

These radios are always available on ebay. I bought mine, brand new in the boxes, for $100 each a while back. Worth a look.

Good luck.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
hobbes

ow about the Icom F21BR?

Post by hobbes »

Looks like a nice little radio -- seeing it for about $150. Anyone used these?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”