Signalling for vehicle remote start?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rileym
What radios do you own?: XTS3k's

Signalling for vehicle remote start?

Post by rileym »

Has anyone come up with a way to do some sort of remote start functionality for a vehicle using signalling of some sort?

I would really like the idea of being able to start/stop my vehicle within handheld range or repeater range for that matter...

Thoughts?
I flatulate P25.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Signalling for vehicle remote start?

Post by RadioSouth »

Motorola makes those Horn/Light kits for mobiles that trip about a 30A rated relay, so if you figure how to utilize that for your start function it would be do-able.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Most remote start units that I have seen have a wire that is for an accessory start. The last one I looked into you grounded the wire and the vehicle started. With that said you could use any sort of radio signalling to trigger a relay to momentarily connect that wire to ground for approx 2 seconds. CDM series closing pins when two tone is received, mdc1200, dtmf, or horn/lights would work. I believe the opportunities are endless.
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

Just curious, and I don't mean it in a critical way, but what would the application be for this? Other than being able to start your vehicle remotely using your portable instead of your keyfob, but if you're starting your car, shouldn't you be fairly close to it anyhow, and therefore within keyfob range anyhow?

It is a neat capability, however!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Buddy of mine built one using DTMF and a old portable radio years ago before they were available commercially, think it was on VHF Simplex
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Someone just south of me did that, I haven't seen him active on here in quite some time. It can be done, his was done via a CDM1250 and an accessory pin.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

maxkelley_kc2spy wrote:Just curious, and I don't mean it in a critical way, but what would the application be for this? Other than being able to start your vehicle remotely using your portable instead of your keyfob, but if you're starting your car, shouldn't you be fairly close to it anyhow, and therefore within keyfob range anyhow?

It is a neat capability, however!
Some people might be driving a vehicle that doesn't offer "keyfob starting". GARY N4KVE
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

I would think it would be even better to have a remote disable capability for the car. Beside the obvious usefulness in case of theft, one could have a ball with an HT and Valet Parking. The images in my mind have me chuckling right now!
Tom

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”