97 Chev Suburban tips?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

97 Chev Suburban tips?

Post by Pj »

Looks like I will be picking up a nice black 97 Chev Suburban to replace my infamous S10 Blazer. Any hints or tips on installs?

I will most likely reinstall my 3 x9000's (2 heads), and my console and strobe package. Anything that I should be aware of?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
vcaruso
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by vcaruso »

You will most certainly have more room for the install :D
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Well one thing I can think of is...... Wait till you have to put gas in it the first time.. You will miss the S-10.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Here is what I did with my GMC Yukon GT 1995 which is the same truck just shorter.

Start with a TSD 175 AMP circuit breaker under the hood. Order the accessory fuse block wire kit from GM. Its about $60 but its high temp wire for underhood application. Its 2ga heavy duty. Get a dual post battery so you can connect your wires without trying to tap under the main leads. THe GM connectors are a tight fit so you're better off with marine supply taps on a dual battery. Mount the breaker under the hood near the battery on the firewall next to the coolant container. Run lead inside cab to be Bosch 150amp relay that's ignition switched. I found the perfect place for it was under the glove box on passenger side. There is a some plastic that is below the box makes a great spot easy to get to. Tap off a 6 block fuse panel from TSD. Run all leads to the block with high amp leads like Spectra 110w or Syntor X900 directly to the relay itself.

I used a stewart products 16inch console with the appropriate mount kit. Was a drop in install and looks sharp. I am upgrading to a 30inch model because i've run out of room!

FYi you'll have plenty of room to run holes through the firewall right where the floor carpeting ends under the glove box. Drill pilot hole and then use a greenlee hole punch.. Grommet hole of course.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

just remember you need a 52 in or bigger
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Suburban Install

Post by mikegilbert »

I've got a '92 suburban. I know it's a little crude, but I built a wood console that fits between the factory console and the dashboard. I stacked (I don't want to say it here) My Kenwood TK-860 and 760's on their own wooden shelf. At the bottom is my bearcat scanner. The 860 is pretty much useless to me now. The local PD's have gone digital, but my AS3 is on the way....I just need a Astro convert-a-com!
e-mail me for pictures...but please don't laugh. I bet your rigs don't have the refreshing smell of pine!
-Mike
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Ok, I have the truck! :) Now, how difficult will it be to put the antenna's in? I have rear air that runs along the top middle of the truck almost all the way back. How much of a prodject will this be? Also, what parts from GM would I need to throw a second battery in there? The tray is there, but nothing else. I have not explored all the wiring yet, but I don't want to mess with too much (yet).
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
shammond

Post by shammond »

Get your battery stuff here.
http://www.wranglernw.com/

Been using this over a year with no problems.

As far as wiring and mounting antennas, I pulled the post cover, behind the back passenger door loose and the will relieve the ceiling slightly. There is a lot of wiring up there too. I used a 5 foot piece of romex with tape on both ends to fish wire from the nmo mounts. I used the tape to make sure a rough end didn't cut any wires.

Can also fish cable from the rear cargo door area too.

If you pull down the dome lights on the inside you can get an idea of where all the a/c and wiring is and try to avoid it. There are also some roof reinforcements that you don't want to drill into either.

Also, if there is a screw looking plug in the middle of the head liner you can pull that out and it will sag a little bit. This helped when I needed to get around some of the junk up there.

BTW this was on a 2001 Suburban.

Don't know how many radios or antennas you need to mount. I took out the console it came with and replaced it with one I got here from Chefa2001. It's a HAVIS 30" console and works and looks great.

Oh yeah, a whole bucket full of patience will help too.

Good Luck,
Steve

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”