GPS signal splitter

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motojoe1
New User

GPS signal splitter

Post by motojoe1 »

I have 4 devices in a police car that use GPS, they all have their own antennas and wanted to know if there is a way that I can use one antenna to provide signal to all of the devices. The car is starting to look like a porcupine and I am starting to run out of real estate for on the rooftop. Does anyone have any Ideas?

MDT
APX7500
In car camera (DVR)
ALPR system
RFguy

Re: GPS signal splitter

Post by RFguy »

I did a Google for "GPS Splitter" and had many hits. Here are a couple.

http://www.gpssource.com/products/gps-splitter/137
http://www.instockwireless.com/gps-spli ... 10-fab.htm
motojoe1
New User

Post by motojoe1 »

Good info.. Thanks RFguy!

Has anyone used any of these? Had any success or issues?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

motojoe1 wrote:I have 4 devices in a police car that use GPS, they all have their own antennas and wanted to know if there is a way that I can use one antenna to provide signal to all of the devices. The car is starting to look like a porcupine and I am starting to run out of real estate for on the rooftop. Does anyone have any Ideas?

MDT
APX7500
In car camera (DVR)
ALPR system

Part of your answer will depend on if any of the devices use an active antenna. Then you will have to find an active antenna that will work with how ever you end up splitting the signal from the other devices. What the ideal item would be is an active GPS antenna splitter that has a built in amp to compensate for the loss of any splitter being used.

Never had to look for a GPS multi coupler, so can't help in pointing anything out.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I made my own splitters out of four port CATV splitters that were rated for 2Ghz operation. I replaced the 75 ohm term resistors with 330 ohm. All ports pass DC. Had to buy FM to BNCF adapters from Pasternack. Works like a champ (*) with 30ft of RG58 to the roof, and 10ft RG58 to each DUT.

* One gps board by itself has a tough time acquiring because of the DC bridge in the splitter. Two or more boards give the active antenna more than enough current to operate correctly. On the plus side, it helps me ferret out the boards with low antenna drive, and poor correlators.

PS - I've used GPS Source stuff in the link above. They're great to work with.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If any of your devices use a serial connection via software, you can use one GPS (a-la MDT) and feed that data with a software splitter. There are a couple of good ones as well as a free one out there (xPort). If they accept USB, GPS Gate can also output via hardware serial ports and USB IIRC.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

you guys that made a homemade one, how are you stopping dc power from feeding back to other devices? Active antennaes need power to run them
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I'm not. But, I'm testing all the same series of gps boards, and they all provide have current limited dc.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”