APX Converter Tool

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

blackwater
What radios do you own?: XTS-5000, APX 7000 8/U

APX Converter Tool

Post by blackwater »

Anyone have any issues getting it to work? I'm running R7.00, in both Windows 7 Pro and XP Mode and both times it gets about half way through and hangs. Hard drive light flashes but never gets past the halfway point. I would rather not have to build a CP from scratch from mt XTS 5000 but this POS won't work. Why couldn't Mother M make it to where you could just drag and drop from the top down and then fill in the area's that needed to be filled in?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: APX Converter Tool

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Running APX CPS in XP (which requires SP3) is a hassle. It's slow and the screen is always off center, but it should work if you don't mind your computer taking forever to execute key strokes.
Running APX CPS in Windows 7 works fine, meaning it's faster than XP and displays a full screen, but I still can not understand
why they had to go and reformat the entire CPS from what we all were familiar with from past radios' setups like for example the one we had on the XTS units. But hey, that's just me.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
blackwater
What radios do you own?: XTS-5000, APX 7000 8/U

Post by blackwater »

The computer has the specs to run it. i7, 8gb of ram, 7200rpm HD. It just never makes it past the half way mark.
dick33

Post by dick33 »

It takes forever especially if you have a larger codeplug to convert.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I tried it and for us it converted the trunkiig zones fine but only the first frequency of the conventional zones was converted.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

It has always been said you can't pay more for a radio than with Motorola. Boy did they get taken on that POS they call the APX software. Been in the field a long time and have had the displeasure of being forced to use the software that Motorola has fielded over the years. As with each new radio that has come out of the bat caves, Motorola always seems to make the field techs learn a new way that the programmers have screwed up the programming of each radio family. I don't mind different programs for the different radios, but you could at least make them function in a like manner.

You would think that a company as large as Motorola would listen to those techs out in the field and at least try to make each different radio family of the software have some resemblance of what was thrown at us the last time around. At least the automotive programmers from Japan sort of listen to their customers. Don't think that will ever happen at Motorola. Their hat bands are keeping their brains so tight, they can't even think about how to make a simple parts inventory program do a simple search and find anything in their MOL database system.

I have to say that unless a major fork in the road is taken soon, the days of the big M are coming to an end. Other companies have stepped up to the plate and have provided some real decent P25 radios that adhere to the standards without trying to imbed any proprietary little tricks to keep the competition out. Customer support from Motorola has taken a nose dive over the last ten years or so.

Let us sit back and see just where the sands of time and the company effort to keep the customer happy take us. Don't forget that to keep the customer happy, the service tech needs the support also. Radio software is part of that support. If the software is trash, that says a whole bunch for the kind of support the company is putting out.

Hope there are not too many techs that have to program a PM1200 radio with the junk software that was fielded for that radio. At least when you placed an XTL radio in low power, it would leave a symbol on the display. Yup, it goes away on the PM1200. There are other poor programming choices done with the PM1200 software, but mother M doesn't give a hoot about it. Might be nice if the symbol for the radio being in the talk around or direct mode would stay on the display of the PM1200. That will get someone killed out in the field. They think the radio is on the repeater and it is still in the direct mode. Trying to make a call for help and only the bugs flying around your head can hear the calls for backup. Nothing on the control head display to indicate the radio is still in the direct mode. Another fine POS software program from Motorola.

The report card is not looking too good so far.

Jim
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I guess the sad fact is that techs rarely get input these days to purchase decisions. There was a time when a FCC licensed tech with a GROL meant something - now anyone seems to be able to program radios and put them into service.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Welcome to the benefits of college kids writing CPS on their summer breaks under an internship

Return to “Radio Programming”