PROGRAMMING GM300

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

piggy1
New User

PROGRAMMING GM300

Post by piggy1 »

I tried to program a GM300 using a ribless cable from the computers serial port, after programming, the radio's speaker no long works.
Are ribless cables reliable for programming (if so, is there a particular brand that's better?) or should you always use a rib for programming them? Is there an option in RSS to enable/disable the speaker?

Thanks,
Kevin.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: PROGRAMMING GM300

Post by SteveC0625 »

piggy1 wrote:I tried to program a GM300 using a ribless cable from the computers serial port, after programming, the radio's speaker no long works.
Are ribless cables reliable for programming (if so, is there a particular brand that's better?) or should you always use a rib for programming them? Is there an option in RSS to enable/disable the speaker?

Thanks,
Kevin.
By any chance did you remove the 16 pin accessory connector or modify it in any way? There is a jumper on the accessory connector that needs to be in place to enable the internal speaker. Pins 15 and 16 have to be jumpered together to accomplish this.
piggy1
New User

Post by piggy1 »

No, jumper is in place and absolutely no sound. The TX/busy light flashes when I transmit to the GM300. I have another GM300 with the opposite problem, the volume is on full blast when you turn it on and the volume control doesn't work. Both GM300's transmit and receive. Any advice?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

piggy1 wrote:I tried to program a GM300 using a ribless cable from the computers serial port, after programming, the radio's speaker no long works.

Thanks,
Kevin.
There is no RSS option to enable/disable the speaker.

The reliability of a 'ribless' cable is difficult to qualify, as there are many different makes of them out there, with wildly varying build quality. I can't see one causing the speaker issue, although I guess anything is possible.

Try swapping the 'mute' head onto your other GM300, see if it has sound then.

The one with the always maximum volume is 99% a bad volume control. See if it has sound on the suspect radio.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”