XTS2500 codeplug password

Moderator: Queue Moderator

19SargeUSMC56
New User

XTS2500 codeplug password

Post by 19SargeUSMC56 »

I've read thru a ton of stuff hereabouts in effort to try to unlock this XTS2500 with CPS 20.1. I have WinHex.....I've followed the procedures I've been able to find but cannot locate the proper string. Has anyone got any feedback at all re this process using this ver of CPS? From what I've read, the desired string appears in different places, depending on what ver CPS you're using......any help would be breatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarge

Semper Fi!
p47r4ck

Re: XTS2500 codeplug password

Post by p47r4ck »

Hi Sarge -

I recently had this problem with an XTL1500 I picked up, so I'm sympathetic to your situation.

I used HxD, and opened up the application in RAM once I got to the prompt in CPS asking me for the password.

Since the EXE for the ASTRO25 CPSes are over 20MB, that's _A LOT_ of text to scan through manually with no prior guidance as to where to look. So, I set the XTL1500 aside.

I took one of my archived code plugs from another XTL1500 I have, then set a known password on that. From there, I got the saved codeplug to the point where it was prompting me for the "read" password. I opened up HxD again and opened PatMobile.exe in RAM. This time, I searched for the password I had set, and HxD found it.

You might say "Well big freaking deal Patrick, you knew what the password was!" Well, in doing this, I at least knew that the password was recoverable using this method.

I made a note of the memory address I had found the password at, and the strings of text that was around the password in HxD.

Next, I plugged the XTL back in with the unknown password, got to the point where it was giving me a prompt for the password, opened up the instance of PatMobile.exe in RAM via HxD, then went to the memory address I documented in the "control" part of the experiment. The password wasn't in the exact memory address as the saved codeplug with the known password (nor did I expect it to be), but after a couple of minutes of searching for similar text around where the password was located during the "control" part of the experiment, I did find it!

Glad we're still able to take advance of this method with the ASTRO25 series. Sadly, it won't be available to us in the APX line, and (in Region AA anyways) was just closed in the TRBO line :(

Curse you, .NET!

-Patrick

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”