Jedi MDC1200 Signalling

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Jedi MDC1200 Signalling

Post by tsunami_australia »

I'm mucking around with my MCS2000s here and MDC signalling and have some questions for those in the know.

1. I've managed to get them to call each other successfully though I get no acknowledgement. With the typical CML-CCIR 5tone (or 4tone for newer Simoco for some f'd up reason) you get at least a beep back from the radio you called so you know the call hit the radio. I've seen videos on youtube where one radio calls another and then displays ACKNOWLEDGE on the screen which would be awesome and just as good or maybe better than the traditional ack beep. However regretfully my radios are not exhibiting this behaviour and I'd like to know how I can get this to happen PLEASE. Running on plan conventional WFM.

2. I cannot for some reason manage to send status calls and messages between radios. I understand this may have been setup for a dispatch style story but is there any way I can run just the plain MCS2000 at the base as the "dispatch" radio which receives the status and message calls and can then also send them out? Is there any way to direct these at a particular group call number or radio call number? Status call and message call would be perfect for discreet communications between mobiles, handhelds and base removing the need to air important details that can be preset at programming (eg EMERGENCY) or YOU'RE IN TROUBLE or OUT OF FUEL perhaps.

Since these radios are currently available in abundance, are getting cheaper and are still VERY good radios for what we use (I use many of the features heavily, ESPECIALLY zones and programmable scan groups in zones) I would like to make the most of these radios both in our own application and also for application with a non-profit self funded emergency group I am part of.

So any assistance with the MDC stuff would be GREATLY appreciated.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: Jedi MDC1200 Signalling

Post by MTS2000des »

In my experience, sel-call, sel-PL, ID display and many features are firmware dependent on the Jedi/Skywalker series. What firmware are your MTS2000/MCS2000s running at?
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
tsunami_australia

R05.75
CNTLHD16 (WTF does this mean?)
209108-104600-2
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

tsunami_australia wrote: CNTLHD16 (WTF does this mean?)
Control head type.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
tsunami_australia

TY handy to know and explains why it is the same across all my radios that are functioning.
tsunami_australia

So does no one know anything about how to achieve the MDC signalling I'm trying for with Jedi or just no one could be bothered to help and only want to contribute when they want help? I find it odd that such a popular and common radio has so few that know anything about it! I had wanted to setup the message and status signalling for use with a voluntary emergency group I'm part of (quicker and more discrete to press a button than send the message over air verbally). I've had more help with Simoco gear which is seriously surprising given the difference in user base or is it just the Simoco users are more friendly and willing to share?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I think that you're asking for help on a feature that is not used by a lot of people, therefore there are going to be a limited number of people that might be able to help you.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

I took a look at the MCS2000 CPS help for MDC Status messages and it says this:

An MDC Status can only be transmitted from a radio unit to a dispatcher (base unit).

the word "only" was in bold.
tsunami_australia

Thanks for the time Jack. So I guess the next question is what is different about a "dispatcher" setup compared to a regular base radio. It is a shame it is a rarely used feature as it has great potential and I see the likes of St John ambulance in NZ using a similar system with their Tait T2000s (probably 5tone equivalent) on tv and I've seen others using the system where they can press a button and shift their radio to "responding" status etc. Surely if it can be done in 5 tone there is greater ability in MDC. There needs to be a catch all calls setting or something I'm guessing?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

As far as I know "dispatcher" refers to an actual dispatch console, such as a Centracom series.
The messages were never meant to be sent car to car, so I don't thing the capability to decode and display them is built into any of the mobile radios.
tsunami_australia

Hmmm might have to look into the dispatch consoles though I get the feeling they are rare as hens teeth :(.

OH well I'd be much happier if I could at least get the acknowledge working for radio-radio mdc call/selcall. That way I know if I'm in range and actually managed to hit the base radio (no repeater as yet).

EDIT: On that topic, does anyone have any good lead diagrams to make up an MCS->MCS repeater lead? I assume it would be 25p->25p? Any way to make it work headless?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”