[Relocating Gold Elite Op Positions away from CEB]

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

celltech25

[Relocating Gold Elite Op Positions away from CEB]

Post by celltech25 »

SO I have a customer running a smartnet system with a 5 position gold elite that is looking to relocate there gold elite offsite from there current location which is co-located with the Ceb and smartnet system

There current setup is mixed mode so they have 13 DIU's that are talking to the quantars and then they have several conventional channels.

Any help on what would be needed to remote the consoles back to the CEB via either t-1 or a microwave link

(Fixed your subject line... - Alex)
alex
Administrator

Re: Centracom gold elite

Post by alex »

This is probably a bit of a tall order because you have to find parts. The easiest way is probably to get 3 card cages (since you can only have two OP's per cage. Then get an AMB card for each CEB. You will need an Ambassador which would have a T1 to each CEB.

You will need to rebuild your CDM to make that work.

You could also look at CORI/ROCI cards which will let you remote locate each of the OPs you have, but, I don't know what's harder to find.

You can also look at ways of using E&M ports and doing the serial transport between the CIE and the CEB. I think it's possible to do it this way but again requires some engineering and support you may not easily get.

Another option would be to move the entire CEB & Consoles, then, figure out what the actual links are between the controller and Centracom. I would imagine those are T1, so you could just "extend" the T1's to the new sites and plug and play. If this is the case it's probably the easiest way.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
celltech25

Re: [Relocating Gold Elite Op Positions away from CEB]

Post by celltech25 »

The controller and the ceb are collocated so no t1's there
celltech25

Post by celltech25 »

Thaks for the reply alex
alex wrote:This is probably a bit of a tall order because you have to find parts. The easiest way is probably to get 3 card cages (since you can only have two OP's per cage. Then get an AMB card for each CEB. You will need an Ambassador which would have a T1 to each CEB. Wouldn't the AMB be for smartzone multi site??

You will need to rebuild your CDM to make that work.

You could also look at CORI/ROCI cards which will let you remote locate each of the OPs you have, but, I don't know what's harder to find. So the CORI would go in the ceb at the main site and the ROCI as the remote Site

You can also look at ways of using E&M ports and doing the serial transport between the CIE and the CEB. I think it's possible to do it this way but again requires some engineering and support you may not easily get. Yeah there are so many channels p25/analog, conventional I don't think that would ever work

Another option would be to move the entire CEB & Consoles, then, figure out what the actual links are between the controller and Centracom. I would imagine those are T1, so you could just "extend" the T1's to the new sites and plug and play. If this is the case it's probably the easiest way.

Alex
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

So my disclaimer is that i'm pretty green when it comes to stuff with Centracom - so I'm doing my best at taking a stab at this...
color=#BF0000]Wouldn't the AMB be for smartzone multi site??
Alex Answer: I don't believe it matters. The AMB allows you to link any resource that is already attached on a CEB to another CEB. I'm greatly over simplifing the process but the basic point is if you have 5 resources on this console and 5 resources on that console you can use an AMB link to allow the CEB's to see each other and use those resources.
So the CORI would go in the ceb at the main site and the ROCI as the remote Site
I think with this you put a board in the CIE and then put a board in the CEB and that plugs in to the Gold Elite OP. You then have to put Modem(s)? and audio links between the card and the CIE. This solution moves the gray CIE box to another site and does not move the actual CEB.
Yeah there are so many channels p25/analog, conventional I don't think that would ever work
The CIE to CEB interface is 8 wires. My understanding this is Select Audio, Unselect Audio, Mic, Monitor 1, and Monitor2 audio, plus a ground. The audio is mixed in the CEB and sent down from the CEB to the CIE. This means that the number of resources/channels does not matter as the OP/CEB handles this.

Lastly: Even though the Site controller is there and isn't remote does not mean that the site controller isn't T1 to the CEB. I have no clue what that interface is. Even if it's a "local T1" it could simply be wiring that is crossed over. Doubt it's not that simple - probably audio links and serial connections but just a guess.

Alex
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
celltech25

Post by celltech25 »

Yeah, I have messed a lot with centracom but never remoting op positions and appreciate the help

SO the cie to ceb link I guess you could do that with some e&m for select/unselect/grnd/mic probably don't need monitor 1 and 2

and then just need the Ethernet connection for the pc back to the main site for the cdm/adm databases
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

celltech25 wrote:Yeah, I have messed a lot with centracom but never remoting op positions and appreciate the help

SO the cie to ceb link I guess you could do that with some e&m for select/unselect/grnd/mic probably don't need monitor 1 and 2

and then just need the Ethernet connection for the pc back to the main site for the cdm/adm databases
This sounds correct. If you are not using Mon1/2 you could probably just skip those connections but not 100%. That could save you some cards/bandwidth. You will want to run the codec's full bore with no voice activity detection.

I think the best way is via T1/Amb links, but, again, I'm not the master in doing this. I've wanted to play with the E&M solution before but have not gotten a solid pinout on the centracom connector.

Alex
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Do you really want to go through all this for an outdated and soon to be a non supported product if you haven't already got the word?

The cost could be put towards a currently supported product line that has many years of strong support still available.

Jim
celltech25

Post by celltech25 »

Jim202 wrote:Do you really want to go through all this for an outdated and soon to be a non supported product if you haven't already got the word?

The cost could be put towards a currently supported product line that has many years of strong support still available.

Jim
DO I want to do this NO, but do I really have a choice when the politicians think it has to be done, we have already quoted them a replacement mcc7500 but they don't want to go through with that upgrade until they have upgraded there controller and they are required to go with a IP console
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

celltech25 wrote:
Jim202 wrote:Do you really want to go through all this for an outdated and soon to be a non supported product if you haven't already got the word?

Jim
DO I want to do this NO, but do I really have a choice when the politicians think it has to be done, we have already quoted them a replacement mcc7500 but they don't want to go through with that upgrade until they have upgraded there controller and they are required to go with a IP console

Most upper management don't have a clue on what to do. They think that they have an unlimited budget when it comes to public safety communications system. The real question comes when the public finds out just how STUPID they are when asked why they spent all this money to move an outdated, non supportable system when they should be in the process of replacing it with a package in current production.

Good thing I don't live there. There would be some new management names running the show.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The parts required have been covered already. The list looks correct. It can be done over a T1 bridging two CEB's together, or per individual consoles over analog telco circuits for voice and data. I've done it a both ways, but never engineered it. I was always just the Motorola MSS contractor following the field ST instructions. Motorola always did all the programming.

My suggestion is have MOT engineer it. They are in the best position to tell you if the necessary parts are available or not. The window to do this work may be closing if it hasn't already. If your customer had acted a year ago, they could have bid on a 12 position remote console that is now in the recycle yard. It had all the cards, modems, etc.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”